Which SDS drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've a new property with considerable more fence that I'm responsible for.

At my previous property the fence run was much shorter and when replacing rotten fence posts, after digging out the soil, I used a bolster hammer and chisel to break up the postcrete and remove the post-stump.

I don't fancy that with the number of posts that need replacing here.

I want to buy an SDS drill with chisel bit to break up the concrete around the fence posts.

Later on in the year I will also use it to remove wall tiles in the kitchen.

I'm happy to spend up to £130. I'll have access to an extension cord so no need for battery operated. I'm more interested in something that'll make the job quick and easy.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
NOTE I'm just a DIYer
my son-in-law has this version, and we used to breakup a floor threshold and also for some old posts concrete - at 2.6 J worked well £129.99
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d25133k-gb-2-6kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-240v/2864j
Also this one £109.99
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d25033-gb-2-5kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-230v/632gt
BUT on Dewalt site its only 2J , soo I suspect the spec is wrong on screw fix site.
Although availability maybe an issue , as i'm seeing issues with getting power tools at the moment

and this kit from screwfix £12.99 , I have used this kit with my SDS
https://www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/D...0-Sds-Hammer-800-Watt-240V-Quick-Change-Chuck
, to demolish a wall, foundation and path , Also used a lot with standard chuck, to drill wooden Posts and NON SDS use
https://www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/D...0-Sds-Hammer-800-Watt-240V-Quick-Change-Chuck
but its outside your budget 2.8J , as it comes with a standard chuck as well as SDS chuck , which I have found very useful.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-sds-plus-chisel-set-3-pcs/13267

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can't really go wrong with any of the big makers, e.g. Bosch, deWalt, Hikoki (was Hitachi), Makita, Metabo, Milwaukee, etc. Only thing I'd say is to aim for around 2.5J as 2J is a bit wimpy for breaking out. You can buy those massive 4J 7kg monsters pretty cheaply, but whilst they have plenty of oomph for breaking out footings they are not practical for drilling, say, holes in walls unless you are Desperate Dan!

I'd go for the Titan SDS drill from screwfix.

I've got a 2j dewalt and was really struggling with the chisel function taking up some old blocks.

Broke out the 4j big gun, and flew through it.

It's not one for going up a ladder with, but it's a lot of drill for not much money, and the cash you save can go towards a lighter drill for driling

very happy with my Titan, I think it weighs about 5kg, so can absorb a lot of "recoil" when bashing.

It's fine working on stuff below shoulder level, or into a floor, but heavy if you have to lift it.

Very cheap, and if you buy it just before starting a major project, the job should be finished before the guarantee runs out, and if you have a duff one, I find Screwfix warranty very good. They do a model with a starter set of bits and steels at a low price, and quite often have a special offer on.

Don't forget your ear defenders.

ear defenders, I said

EAR DEFENDERS!!

WHAT'S THE MATTER, ARE YOU... oh, I see, sorry.

I purchased the Titan for breaking a small area of concrete. It performed well enough and was so cheap that it paid for itself on that job. After a handful of smallish jobs the chisels just kept falling out, so I binned it.

I did use it to drill a couple of extractor cores as well but if I had a proper core drill, I would have used that instead.

I have no complaints. It was cheap, it paid for itself. Were I in need of a regular use SDS/breaker, I would look at one in a much higher price bracket.

Too heavy for drilling small holes though.

After a handful of smallish jobs the chisels just kept falling out

that happened to me, I couldn't understand it. By luck, while I was thinking of buying again, I found the instructions, thinking I might need to clean or lube the chuck I read through them and realised I had not been fitting the steels correctly. I must have forgotten how since I last used it.

that happened to me, I couldn't understand it. By luck, while I was thinking of buying again, I found the instructions, thinking I might need to clean or lube the chuck I read through them and realised I had not been fitting the steels correctly. I must have forgotten how since I last used it.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I had just abused it a bit too much.

I am normally happy to take powertools apart but SDS drill are a different kettle of fish. My old 2kg Bosch once went bang. I turned it off at the mains, realised that I needed to get the job finished. I turned it on at the mains and discovered that the drill automatically started started spinning without the trigger being pressed. Pressing the trigger simply increased the speed. I did dismantle the handle, looked at the number of wires running in to the switch, then discovered that a new switch would be about £40. At that point I decided to buy a 2kg Metabo.

Later on in the year I will also use it to remove wall tiles in the kitchen.

I am aware that you can get SDS bits designed specifically for that, but I don't think I would want to use one unless the tiles have old school proper cement as the adhesive. You might find that a Japanese cat's claw will damage the substrate less.

Ive got that one, though it didn't last long before the gearbox went, got it repaired under warranty, then used it to take a small brick cupboard out of my parents bungalow and the clutch went.

Let it cool down and it has been alright but I haven't really used it since just for minor stuff only, my most recent job it was used in was breaking up a small section of concrete which it performed ok at, but the hammer action doesn't appear to be as powerful as it was.

I think this drill will be a bit small for the op's intended use.

I would recommend the Titan 6.3kg SDS from Screwfix. My dad's got one and it's seen some abuse in its time, hes had it 3 years now, he bought it because my Makita failed.

The warranty is good on it, if it does fail it's super easy to just take it back to Screwfix and swap it over. Much easier than the Makita failing then having to send it away for 3 weeks to get repaired stopping the job or forcing you to buy another drill.

Absolutely right when you say that the makita is too small for the op job, but for everyday job is great and can be used with one hand.

Absolutely right when you say that the makita is too small for the op job, but for everyday job is great and can be used with one hand.

Absolutely, for chasing out walls and drilling holes and using core drills it's perfectly fine at, it's a real nice drill the Makita and is the more versatile option

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back