Which tools should i get for my first tool box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

looking at screwfix and then just thought, what tools do I need?

I'm your average starter home, buy a heap have to repair it DIYer....

But know nothing about tools.

I can obviously buy the tools for each job, but surely there must be standard tools everyone needs for fixing up the house etc.

All advice welcome, from general, to exact brands.

Cheers

p.s. also advice on the box tool :)

Sponsored Links
Ideas and opinions:

Firstly, one of the DIY encyclopedias. Readers Digest and Which do good ones. you can borrow one from the library as they are quite expensive. This will also show you what tools you need for each job the first time you do it.

Get one or two large plastic (not metal) toolboxes with lift-out or cantilevered trays. Metal ones tear your trousers and bruise your leg, and are heavy.

Don't buy a socket set or large set of spanners unless you want to mend cars.

You'll need a small, light drill/driver and a medium sized percussion or hammer drill. You'll appreciate the light one when you have to hold it above your head for curtain rails and light fittings.

Small spirit level

Long steel tape measure

Large set of screwdrivers - surprisingly cheap at the sheds - made of chrome vanadium steel and with rounded (not ridged engineers) handles. Ridged ones give you more blisters.

a club hammer and an electricians bolster.

A claw hammer (I'd go for a steel-handed one)

Good quality masonry drills (you'll probably only ever use one size for wallplugs (use brown ones mostly) so don't waste your money on a set of ten. Large sizes for pipes are expensive, so buy one when you need it.

Twist drills for wood and light metal (buy a set, but you'll break the small sizes and have to replace them)

Large box or brown plastic plugs and an assortment of galvanised pozidrive screws, and some sectional plastic boxes to keep them in without being mixed up.

Multimeter

set of adjustable spanners (always try to get chrome vanadium steel for tools that need to grip and might wear)

Then consider what your first job will be and see what tools you need for it. Generally avoid cheap ones at the street market or cheap shop.

Don't get carried away into buying lots of electric tools or gadgets before you have a particular need for them. If buying rechargeables, the batteries can be the most expensive thing, see if you can buy several tools that use the same battery. Cheap, low power rechargeables are handy for doorstops but not much else.

As this is your first venture into the wonderful world of DIY, do not forget the First Aid Kit.......... :LOL:

Cheers guys

Will get some tools and book

and some plasters..

Sponsored Links
Very good point!
Personal Protective Equipment

Goggles

Ear defenders (I said, Ear defenders! EAR DEFENDERS! What's the matter are you... oh, sorry.)

PVC gloves (rubber ones fall apart in oil and solvents)

Several face masks (koff, koff). the ones with a one-way valve are best.

Overalls (or a cotton warehouse coat is very handy)

You can get a hard-hat and some steel-toed boots if you don't mind looking tough.

dont forget the Radox for the bath you will need to:

a) get clean from all the dust and crap etc and
b) to soak your back in....................... :LOL:

Wasn't he the boy who took up ballet dancing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back