What new tools and where to buy them....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I’m afraid this isn’t an easy question with a simple answer, but I’m interested in anyone’s thoughts.

I’m moving to Italy and have bought a house I want to renovate. The house is structurally sound, but I’m going to need to re-wire and re-plumb as well as general decorating. I’m also planning on removing the exterior rendering and taking it back to its original stone. They’ll be a fair bit of plaster/rendering removal, chasing and having to drill/break through some pretty thick stone walls. I’ll also have a fair bit of floor and wall tiling to do.

Now I am not a pro, but have been DIYing for some time and have taken on some large tasks in the past (re-wired our old house for example). The good thing is I’m under no time pressures to complete the renovation.

Now I have my (old) collection of bits and pieces of equipment, but I don’t want to start the project half cocked and try and get by with my current tools. That said I don’t want to spend a fortune on new stuff!

So my questions are….

What sort of tools should I be looking at (heavy duty SDS Drill, Tile cutters, Wall Chaser (like a double bladed angle grinder) cordless tools….).

What sort of makes should I be considering? The DeWalt stuff seems to be the professionals choice, but getting kitted out with all this would mean I’d need a second mortgage! I’ve read in the forum that the very cheap stuff (Nu Tool from Makro, Ferm from ScrewFix, JCB from wherever…) tend to be OK for general DIY, but might not stand up to more constant use.

Where should I be buying it? Anyone any experience of buying hardware in the UK but having to get is serviced on the continent? Should I be buying my stuff in Italy (haven’t come across any good ‘trade’ type sources online similar to the many available to us in the UK).

Like I said, I know there isn’t a yes/no right/wrong answer to these, but I’m interested in everyone’s thought.

Thanks in anticipation of your advice!

Regards

Paul

Sponsored Links
Italy is 230v 50 hz (alegedly) :LOL: but i dont suppose any uk tools will work for long out there, something to do with finishing at mid day

Sponsored Links
Hi,

If I'm looking at 110 volt tools, will there be any difference between UK/Italy from a technical standpoint.

I'm wondering if I should just be considering these as they are all meant to be 'professional' so I'd hope would cope with the workload.

In an ideal world I think I should buy them in Italy, but I haven't been able to find any online suppliers to do a price comparison with.

Paul

Hi Breezer,

Nice site - I'll make a note of that :)

No, I realise that they are 230, but was wondering if I'd be better off looking at 110 volt tools (as normally used on building sites with a transformer).

I can get all the tools here (if they are cheaper) then buy transformers in Italy.

Regards

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back