SDS drill for renovation project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am in the process of buying my 1st home (yay), unfortunately it is a complete renovation project :(.

For part of it I need to update the central heating system and rewire the house (1950's wires are under the wallpaper), I am planing to get in a qualified person to do the technical work however to save money I am planning on doing all the grunt work such as chasing in the walls myself. Other parts of the renovation include some demo work into stone walls and concrete and such I am in need of a good quality SDS drill but have fairly limited funds (What I spend on tools is less to spend on the renovation work). So I really have a few questions that I was hoping a few of you could help me with.

1) Is a wall chaser worth buying for the chasing or a SDS Drill with a chisel bit do the job but the aggravation of it taking longer with the SDS out weigh the cost of the chaser?

2) What SDS drill should I buy as I would of thought a fairly decent one? I went into Cromwell tools yesterday and they recommended the Bosch GBH2-26DRE (£119.99 + VAT) or the GBH4-DFE (£219.99 + VAT). Is the extra £100 worth it or will the drill be overkill? Can anyone recommend other options or even cheaper places then Cromwells?

I know I have asked quite a few questions but I am quite an amateur when it comes to buying tools as I have used my Step Dads in the past and he has rather cheap tastes so I have never used a decent quality item before lol.

Sponsored Links
Bosch (blue) are indestructable. My last drill (g.r.h.s. :cry: ) lasted for nye on 11 years and was used and abused frequently. Hilti are about the only sds drills that surpass Bosch blue.

So, if you are going down the quality route go with Bosch, otherwise it is a lottery. Cheaper drills generally are not serviceable and will not take a lot of stick.

P.s. i do use other brands for other tools, i.e. Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch green, (even some B&Q own brand tools that are lesser used ;) ) but i will never buy anything other than a Bosch 240v mains sds drill.

Bosch (blue) are indestructable. My last drill (g.r.h.s. :cry: ) lasted for nye on 11 years and was used and abused frequently. Hilti are about the only sds drills that surpass Bosch blue.

So, if you are going down the quality route go with Bosch, otherwise it is a lottery. Cheaper drills generally are not serviceable and will not take a lot of stick.

P.s. i do use other brands for other tools, i.e. Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch green, (even some B&Q own brand tools that are lesser used ;) ) but i will never buy anything other than a Bosch 240v mains sds drill.

excellent advice, bosch blue is 2nd only to hilti and half the price.

Sponsored Links
1. Wall chasers are not a good purchase if you have a limited budget. You need to spend a lot of money to get a decent one; they can make a lot of mess, even when used with a good dust extractor; they only work well in softer masonry; they do only the one job.

2. A Bosch 2kg drill would be ideal for your needs; it must have a rotation stop to do what you want. In my opinion, these Bosch drills (or their equivalent in other leading brands) are far better value than the cheap drills on the market. My Bosch SDS drill has been going strong for nearly 20 years; I've just added a secondhand Hilti, which is excellent.

A 4kg machine is worth having too if you have a lot of (light) demolition work and if funds allow. I've been very pleased with my Metabo, which has done a lot of work without complaining.

Hope the work goes well.

excellent advice, bosch blue is 2nd only to hilti and half the price.

i too swear by bosch,but i still think the ultimate tool is festo.but on the expensive side but very top quality.

well i always thought they did?but i have just checked and blow me it doesnt look like they do/did, so ill retract my post about festo :oops: and go along with the consensus about hilti being probably the best............or spit if they still make them :LOL:

Thanks for all the great so far guys :)

So what im generally getting here pretty much go Bosch for the jobs i need to tackle as Hilti is way out my price range due to my limited budget and probably the SF http://www.screwfix.com/prods/26072...ill-Driver;jsessionid=4CAYUJFIDVTHMCSTHZOSFFQ is my best bet at the mo? Unless anyone can recommend any alternatives as I am not a builder by trade so spending that amount of money for a one off renovation project is rather large stretch.

I've got a blue Bosch and a Dewalt. The Bosch hits harder but the Dewalt hits faster. Both equally good but the Dewalt is a lot cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back