What hand power tools?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to start a house renovation project and I'm planning on replacing my old B&D power tools.

The market has moved on considerably and I've no idea what the best combination of power tools is?

Would a combi drill and impact driver suffice?

I need to do a bit of masonary drilling (e.g. installing air bricks) but not loads. I'll be putting up the usual shelving and making a couple of stud walls so think the impact driver will be useful.

Will a circular saw suffice for most uses or is a jigsaw also worth the extra cost?

Sponsored Links
If you are splurging out a SDS drill is well worth the money a mains one will suffice as you only need it for really hard walls.

Really a jig saw and a circular saw are both useful as they have different advantages, a good combi drill 18v is a must, oh and I understand something called a "Rampant rabbit" is favored by many DIY''ers
;) ;) ;)

Think hard before you buy if your only buying tools for a one off project think of hiring. If you want to buy to keep maybe look at ryobi 18v tools cheaper than the big trade brands (makita dewalt etc) but still give you the one battery for lots of tools

Would a combi drill and impact driver suffice?
Probably not. Depending on how much masonry drilling and heavier work you need to do (e.g. taking out bricks, chasing walls, cutting-out for electrical back boxes in masonry, heavy timber drilling such as lock mortises, lifting tiles, light chiselling of concrete, etc) a 2 kg class corded SDS drill with 3-functions can't be beaten whereas an impact driver is really a luxury

I'll be putting up the usual shelving and making a couple of stud walls so think the impact driver will be useful.
Although if the quantity isn't great you can always hand nail studwork

Will a circular saw suffice for most uses or is a jigsaw also worth the extra cost?
Possibly, yes. You'll get a lot more out of a circular saw than you will out of a jigsaw. Don't skimp on the size/power - something like a 190mm saw is pretty reasonable for building/carpentry work, especially if you have a hand saw and a coping saw

oh and I understand something called a "Rampant rabbit" is favored by many DIY''ers
;) ;) ;)
Funny. Can't find one of them in the Makita catalogue :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Out of interest what are the " old B&D tools" that you wish to replace ? And if they are still working why replace them. I have some nice new tools but alongside them are several old Black and Deckers that are still holding their own , not to mention a powerful old Wolf drill that looks like it comes straight out of a Flash Gordon film. Replace something if it doesn't work but not just because it's old.

Out of interest what are the " old B&D tools" that you wish to replace ? And if they are still working why replace them. I have some nice new tools but alongside them are several old Black and Deckers that are still holding their own , not to mention a powerful old Wolf drill that looks like it comes straight out of a Flash Gordon film. Replace something if it doesn't work but not just because it's old.
I agree. Nice to have new kit, but it has to earn it's keep for me. Wear the old ones out first, and apart from replacements only buy new stuff when you need to do something you can't at present.
Now if I can just follow my own advice! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back