Cheap Tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello lads,
Just been shopping around for some tools. Specifically cordless combi drills and impact drivers. I was looking at all the obvious brands (bosch, makita etc) and they're very steep for 18v variants. Then I saw the wicked/b and q cheap ones. Considerably cheaper for the same paper specs in some cases.

The one I was interested in was their cordless drill driver. Is that different from an impact driver? They have a cordless screwdriver type thing, so I assumed this was their impact driver. However, it comes in at only 18nm of torque, which is nearly 10x less than the branded equivalents. Will this be an obstacle for home Diy?

Sponsored Links
One thing I have come to realise over the years is that, almost without exception, you get what you pay for. Cheap things are cheap for a reason. I have lost count of the bargains I have come home with only for them to fail within a few uses. That being said, I still have a NuTool belt sander that cost me a tenner from Makro about 20 years ago - it just refuses to die!

One thing I have come to realise over the years is that, almost without exception, you get what you pay for. Cheap things are cheap for a reason. I have lost count of the bargains I have come home with only for them to fail within a few uses. That being said, I still have a NuTool belt sander that cost me a tenner from Makro about 20 years ago - it just refuses to die!

I agree, this is the case in most equipment I've used. The predicament is being able to pay for it now. I think I'm going probably going to go with the inefficient method of get cheap bits that I need now, and replacing them as they drop out. Managed to get a nice corded bosch drill on offer, thought it could do most things (which it can I suppose) but the hassle of it when going from task to task, and it's size really does show why a cordless/impact driver is desirable.

On a side note, am I correct in assuming a cordless impact driver is designed specifically for putting in screws and the like, and is more effective in terms on torque, than say a corded drill?

My understanding - Impact drivers do not necessarily have extra torque, it isn't this that makes them good at what they do, it is the fact that they 'hit' the screw to turn it - hence Impact. I'm not sure how this translates in terms of torque - A Level Physics was a long time ago.

Sponsored Links
Cordless (screw)drivers and Impact drivers are different tools. A cordless driver will drive a screw in smoothly and comparatively quietly; typically has a peak torque of around 45nM. An impact driver is noisier, drives screws in rapid steps. The design is that the screwdriver driver bit is driven round by a spring loaded 'hammer' which both pushes the bit into the screw and at the same time in whichever direction the screw is to be turned. Typical torque is 160nM. Needs special screwdriver bits. Can only really be used as a screwdriver.

The former will be better for you as it has more uses – drilling into many materials including brickwork and concrete with the aid of the hammer function and screw driving. The impact driver can only be used for screw driving.

There are plenty of 'semi' pro tools at the price range you are looking at. Look at Toolstation and Screwfix websites.

Hello lads,
Just been shopping around for some tools. Specifically cordless combi drills and impact drivers. I was looking at all the obvious brands (bosch, makita etc) and they're very steep for 18v variants. Then I saw the wicked/b and q cheap ones. Considerably cheaper for the same paper specs in some cases.

The one I was interested in was their cordless drill driver. Is that different from an impact driver? They have a cordless screwdriver type thing, so I assumed this was their impact driver. However, it comes in at only 18nm of torque, which is nearly 10x less than the branded equivalents. Will this be an obstacle for home Diy?

Makita and DeWalt etc. Do entry level twin kits with the DIYer in mind. I'd look at these first. An impact driver and drill driver are useful both in their own right. If you're doing a lot of masonry drilling you can get rotary hammer drills really cheap these days. The hammer function on most combi drills is pretty crap, even on top spec ones.

if your after semi decent cordless as diy
i only use hilti snob i know
but recently i got fed up up with getting tools out of van and remembering to put them back in the morning for work i decided to buy some cheap tools to abuse at home
i brought some cheap http://ozito-diy.co.uk/ very cheap and not bad perfomance with the 4.0 amp batteries
only tried the grinder and the compact drill so far

Makita and DeWalt etc. Do entry level twin kits with the DIYer in mind. I'd look at these first. An impact driver and drill driver are useful both in their own right. If you're doing a lot of masonry drilling you can get rotary hammer drills really cheap these days. The hammer function on most combi drills is pretty crap, even on top spec ones.

I've got a Bosch hammer drill. Used it for all kinds, pleased with it but it's a pain for small jobs, and the cords aren't particularly long so most of the time I have to get an extension roll out too. I was browsing today, and just now saw what looks like a nice offer on screw fix.

Screenshot_20170514-210107.png

Two batteries and two drills, box and charger. Seems like a steal? Half of the ones ive seen, the batteries cost more than the tool!

Not a fan of its dead expensive therefore it must be good. Simply go on time quality simplicity and longevity formula. I like my Makita kit.. but I am no slave to a brand. And by no means is all my kit Makita.

I've got a Bosch hammer drill. Used it for all kinds, pleased with it but it's a pain for small jobs, and the cords aren't particularly long so most of the time I have to get an extension roll out too. I was browsing today, and just now saw what looks like a nice offer on screw fix.

View attachment 119232

Two batteries and two drills, box and charger. Seems like a steal? Half of the ones ive seen, the batteries cost more than the tool!

1.5ah batteries arent amazing. Depending in how often and for how long you're going to use it. There's a formula used for batteries based on voltage and current, I can't exactly remember how to explain it but the lower the capacity, against higher the voltage the worse value and performance you're going to achieve. Therefore while more expensive, a higher capacity battery will deliver more at the point of use and over the life time of the tool as lithium cells have a suggested life span and amount of charge cycles before they're junk.

Not a fan of its dead expensive therefore it must be good. Simply go on time quality simplicity and longevity formula. I like my Makita kit.. but I am no slave to a brand. And by no means is all my kit Makita.

Depends on what you're doing but generally speaking better tools do cost more. I've not used a cheap-o cordless drill and thought oh this is as good as my brushless combi for half the money.

If the tool is going to spend more time in its box than in your DIYing hands, then don't listen to the brand fan boi's with the "must get a pro tool" mantra.

I still don't get the fad of the "must have" impact driver either. I can't think when this would be an essential diy tool when it's raison d'etre means it has little actual use at home.

I still have cheap tools from way back which have lasted longer than some younger pro tools. It's all about how you use them and for how long, not what's printed on them.

I still don't get the fad of the "must have" impact driver either.

It's a must have if you really want to bugger all the screw heads, wildly overtighten everything, splitting the wood you were screwing into in the process. They're also great at chewing up wall plugs so that the screw just spins freely and now won't come out either!! Also, they make loads of noise and irritate staff/customers where you are working!!! Brilliant! :rolleyes::(

IMHO, they should only be used on much larger diameter screws, like 8mm coach screws and for M8 and up nuts/bolts, they are actually quite good for that. Certainly a stupid idea for Phillips or Pozi head screws. Torx heads are just about OK with them, but only for larger diameters again, T25-ish head and up.#

Gaz :)

I still don't get the fad of the "must have" impact driver either. I can't think when this would be an essential diy tool when it's raison d'etre means it has little actual use at home.

I still have cheap tools from way back which have lasted longer than some younger pro tools.

For a fad, they've stuck like **** to a blanket. More fixings used are mechanical and you'll struggle to drive concrete screws/tapcon with a drill-driver. Not to say homes are mostly built from concrete and steel but we all have a preference.

Tools from way back would have been manufactured using materials and methods from way back, not always applicable if at all to today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back