Best Impact and Masory drill Bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been trying to screw into brick today to put up a curtain pole and I was struggling using a Makita 18v lxt Cordless combo. I was using a cheap set of Makita drill bits can someone recommend me some good masory bits surely my drill should be good enough to put up a curtain pole.

Also what screwdriver bits are best for a 18v Makita impact driver.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
makita bits are good, were they new?
If so and the drill wouldnt touch the wall you may need to borrow an sds drill, unless you hit some metal

Being in the curtain pole area you were probably drilling into the concrete lintel, you may of even hit the steel rebar but then surely that would of been deep enough anyway for a plug and screw so would assume it was just the lintel, the cordless should be ok for this though, sounds daft but are you sure it was going clockwise, you'll be suprised how many don't check the direction of rotation :oops:

Use the smallest bit first and then work up to the size you want. Irwin make the best cordless bits I have found, but if you buy them remember to turn of the hammer action.

Sponsored Links
Good advice above that i would be inclined to follow.

Sometimes, i've switched between straight drilling and hammer drilling in the same masonry hole and it somehow worked - why, i dont know.

Some years ago, in the 80's i think, some council's began to use an impossibly hard face brick that required corded SDS drilling, or chiseling thro. But i doubt that it would be at the lintel - altho, brickies will use whatever is at hand, esp. if the lintel is brick on angle iron.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back