Your best tool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK if you were to pick out one outstanding tool in your bag, powered or not, what would it be?

For me hands down, without question the prize goes to my Makita impact driver + extension + impact rated pozi bit. Its one tool that never ceases to make me happy! Effortless torque. My only quibble would be a brighter array of LED's on the front.

BTD144RFE.jpg

http://www.makitauk.com/product/cor...btd144rfe-18v-14-brushless-impact-driver.html

What's yours?

Sponsored Links
That's the same impact driver I use - brilliant piece of kit, especially as the 3 speed/torque range makes it possible to drive stainless steel screws (into fire door hinges) without either mashing the screw heads or snapping them off.

However, for favourite tool my choice is a toss-up between my plunge saw (Festool TS55):

175000_174758_78650_58679117_thumb.jpg

and my Multitool (Fein FMM250Q):

175000_174758_78651_22012973_thumb.jpg

The Fessy saves me loads of time - the Fein comes out to do those finishing cuts which are all but impossible to do any other way

My trusty DC927, first tool out the box with years of abuse and still going strong. I've had the metal gearbox casing that hot before trying to remove a seized spax frame fixing that you couldn't hold it for a fair few minutes till it cooled. Getting on a bit now being the first li-ion NANO dewalt did so might treat myself to one from the XR range

Mine is an old cut down scraper where the metal extends through the wooden handle, that doubles as emergency bolster chisel, lever, scraper, filling knife, what can I fit in to wiggle this out tool, paint tin opener and for tucking carpet back down the gripper rod. A quick touch with a file and it is ready for the next time it would break my heart to lose it ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Ha ha been there done it myself, i've had plenty of those type of scrapers till they finally expire, right now i'm using these from eurocell but i guess you can get them anywhere, these have a metal end for bashing, they stay sharp for yonks and rarely snap, i recommend ;)

That's the same impact driver I use - brilliant piece of kit, especially as the 3 speed/torque range makes it possible to drive stainless steel screws (into fire door hinges) without either mashing the screw heads or snapping them off.

However, for favourite tool my choice is a toss-up between my plunge saw (Festool TS55):

175000_174758_78650_58679117_thumb.jpg

The Fessy saves me loads of time - the Fein comes out to do those finishing cuts which are all but impossible to do any other way

Awesome, always wanted a Festool but not really had the justification for it, I believe DeWalt have a similar system but the Festool is king!

And may I add a cheap ****ty pair of F Clamps! Best clamps ive use much better than quick grips.

the best tool will vary as your working life/hobby progresses and new tools are introduced will update you favorite

present top one will be my dewalt 18v plunge saw purely for reducing the cutting off sheet material by around 80%

I have an extensive collection of crowbars, a weird hobby I can't quite explain. I rarely have need to use any of them, but I like the things; they're simple, well made (the ones I buy), and ancient. The principle of using a rod type structure and claw as a lever and pry seems to go back millennia and that appeals to me, I suppose.

My favourite new purchase is the adjustable head crowbar by sealey tools. I was worried it would be a gimmick and nothing else but having got my hands on one, it's actually a very nice, modern design. a simple improvement on an ancient design. When tightening the angle you actually increase the heel surface and roundness as well.

It's no match for a really good Stanley or Estwing pry but it's my newest and I certainly like it enough to share here.

DeWalt cross line self levelling laser. Don't know how I ever managed without it.

Roughneck mattock with fibreglass handle. Superb for a wide range of digging and other landscaping tasks in heavy and rocky clay soil. Much less effort than a spade/shovel, and excellent for removing tree stumps, roots and boulders. I have no idea why they are not used more extensively in the UK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back