which tv?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I wanted to take a lcd tv for my parents in another country, could anyone advise what I need to look out for ie tuner although the voltage is same as uk. thanks

Sponsored Links
All the current major brand tv's work thought Europe as far as the system, its about voltage but as I think most of Europe is 220/240 there should not be any issues.
It comes down to style/price & performance

This is a link to a website showing the various countries with their relevant TV system:
https://secure.equinox.uk.com/ntsc.htm
It also explains the differences.

I do know, from experience, that, for UK(PAL), France(SECAM) & Germany(PAL), if you use the scart connector it makes no difference what the TV system is, it'll work OK. I would imagine that applies to all systems.

For instance, you can use a local TV, on the local system, with the analogue/terrestial aerial plugged in via the coax plug to pick up the local stations, and a UK tuner picking up satellite stations and connected via the scart socket.(assuming the location of the country can pick up UK/European satellite )

Sponsored Links
I do know, from experience, that, for UK, France & Germany, if you use the scart connector it makes no difference what the TV system is, it'll work OK. I would imagine that applies to all systems.

Thats because you are not using the TV tuner.

I do know, from experience, that, for UK, France & Germany, if you use the scart connector it makes no difference what the TV system is, it'll work OK. I would imagine that applies to all systems.

Thats because you are not using the TV tuner.

Diyisfun, perhaps, instead of correcting me, you'd be better off correcting your first post. :!: :idea:

Dont be a p***

I did not correct you, as you did not make a mistake.
I only wrote why they work on scart.

If I made an error I have no issue with being corrected, because that way we all learn.

Dont be a p***
Useful comment :?: I think not :!:

I did not correct you, as you did not make a mistake.
I only wrote why they work on scart.
Why state the obvious :?: I think the op is sufficiently intelligent to be aware of that.

If I made an error I have no issue with being corrected, because that way we all learn.
All the current major brand tv's work thought Europe as far as the system, ....../
It comes down to style/price & performance
Perhaps, if/when you recognise your error, you'll appreciate the correction.

There are many people on this forum who are not as knowledgeable as you & I & it was for all our readers information.

I read posts from all the forum categories & so do a lot of other people.

I had no idea that you new why the scart cable worked (in your reply you could have added as to why, then you could have been advising others, as it was it was I).

Most but not all major brands of TV work throughout Europe, but we still don't know what country the OP is talking about. There are a lot of countries where European TVs won't work including the USA, Canada and much of South America.

You have raised an interesting point. Since the demise of analogue I do not know what will work where.

For satellite I would not expect any problems. I have used a Turkish box to receive Astra without problems. However Sky boxes are basic Astra only although you can tune into extra's the number is limited.

I note when using freeview on PC the card is able to work in many countries but the one I have seems not to be designed for UK and the electronic program guide and teletext do not seem to work as they should.

The old analogue system had some odd things as well. My TV in Hong Kong had built into stereo system a bi-lingual button and I could select Canonise or English but same set in UK would not swap between Welsh and English even though supposed to be same PAL system. So Hong Kong set worked in UK but not visa versa.

I think I would play safe and buy it local.

I do know, from experience, that, for UK(PAL), France(SECAM) & Germany(PAL), if you use the scart connector it makes no difference what the TV system is, it'll work OK.

Not always. SCART connectors have provision in the specification for direct RGB video connections and composite video, but not all devices provide both. With an RGB connection you will have no problem moving between any of the 625-line European systems, but if one of the devices in question has only composite video on the SCART connector, then the coding issues of PAL vs. SECAM come into play.

The old analogue system had some odd things as well. My TV in Hong Kong had built into stereo system a bi-lingual button and I could select Cantonise or English but same set in UK would not swap between Welsh and English even though supposed to be same PAL system. So Hong Kong set worked in UK but not visa versa.

That is because English and Welsh are not broadcast like that here, nothing to do with the TV.

UK TV's have the bi-lingual mode as well, the button required is often labelled audio or option but it does not work as we don't broadcast bi-lingual mode. Take an English TV to HK ang you will find it will work.

If you're moving around within Europe the voltage / frequency are the same 230V 50Hz. At worst, you may need to change the plug.

Analogue television is rapidly becoming irrelevant but, many televisions, as has been pointed out above, will work in multiple countries. You usually have to select the country you want to set up for in the installation menu.

However, some models, particularly those sold in the UK, may have quite limited tuners that only tune into a narrow range of UHF channels. This can mean that they won't work or may not receive a full range of channels even in the Republic of Ireland.

Some televisions also do not contain SECAM decoders, so will only see French TV in black and white!

Digital TV in Europe is all broadcast using DVB-T, but there are some quirks in that too.

E.g. some countries use MPEG2 for standard def and MPEG4 for HD only (E.g. UK) and others use MPEG4 for everything (E.g. Ireland and Norway).

So, you may need a TV that is capable of decoding MPEG4.

However, many people don't watch TV using the set's built-in analogue or digital tuner.

If you're using a set-top-box i.e. cable, satellite or digital terrestrial it should work just fine using either a SCART or HDMI cable.

Televisions outside the EU (and European influenced areas) may be drastically different e.g. the United States, Canada and Japan etc.

Sponsored Links
Back