LG LCD TV Crackling & loss of Channels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My sons LG32LC2D TV has been crackling from the speakers and now he has lost all freeview channels and it will not retune.

Although the tv turns on and the screen say "no signal" He is unable to get any picture at all not even through his XBox!

Any idea what this could be and do you have the part to repair it?

Could it be the PSU? or maybe the Tuner?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Nowadays, professional TV repairers are rare and those that are left won't divulge their secrets.

So I suggest you search the www and You-Tube for the model number in order to determine whether other owners have had a similar problem. Also see http://www.The-Cool-Book-shop.co.uk/repair_your_TV.htm

If this model is prone to capacitor failure, you'll probably find what you need here:
http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/low_ESR_capacitors.htm

It was not wise to ignore the initial symptoms. A "crackling" noise might indicate a simple bad connection. If something moderately heavy was plugged into a socket, that could cause strain that breaks an internal connection. In the absence of any test equipment, all you can do is use your senses.

Hi

My sons LG32LC2D TV has been crackling from the speakers and now he has lost all freeview channels and it will not retune.

Although the tv turns on and the screen say "no signal" He is unable to get any picture at all not even through his XBox!

Any idea what this could be and do you have the part to repair it?

Could it be the PSU? or maybe the Tuner?

Many thanks

First: contact service provider, and get a ping to reset signal.
Second:Try a reset-unplug cable box and tv- hold power on button on tv for 60 sconds, then plug in and power on.
Third- try running cable directly to tv on diffrent inputs to see if you can find a signal or channel.

As you are in Canada, you can probably be forgiven for typing complete tripe. This is a "Freeview" TV (using a terrestrial aerial or "antenna"). There is no cable-TV service involved.

Sponsored Links
First: contact service provider, and get a ping to reset signal.
Second:Try a reset-unplug cable box and tv- hold power on button on tv for 60 sconds, then plug in and power on.
Third- try running cable directly to tv on diffrent inputs to see if you can find a signal or channel

I have tried the TV in another room with a new power lead and on a different arial and its just the same.

Someone said it may be the AV Board?

See my first post, above. You can guess as much as you like but, without actually testing, nobody can be certain. You could end up spending money for nothing.

It's like: "my car won't start; could it be the battery?"
Yes.
"OK, I replaced that and it's no better; could it be the coil pack?"
Yes.
"OK, I replaced that and it's no better; could it be the fuel pump?"
...and on, and on...

See my first post, above. You can guess as much as you like but, without actually testing, nobody can be certain. You could end up spending money for nothing.

It's like: "my car won't start; could it be the battery?"
Yes.
"OK, I replaced that and it's no better; could it be the coil pack?"
Yes.
"OK, I replaced that and it's no better; could it be the fuel pump?"
...and on, and on...
With all that aside he can still do a hard reset #2
When the crackling starfed and then loss of antenna signal did it start at same time.How old is the tv?

OK I've fixed it.

I was advised by a "TV Engineer" that it was the AV Board, so I went out and bought for one £15 swapped them out and no different, Thanks!

I decided to look at the PSU board where I noticed that one capacitor (C208) was slightly rounded on the top, so I bought one for £1.40 and swapped that out then "Hey Presto" TV working again.

So instead of paying just £1.40 it cost me £16.40 thanks "TV Enginner"

Anyone want to buy a AV Board P/N 68709S0992F 060517 for £15.00 incl P&P

Fits LG 32" 37" 42" & 50" LCD TVs

Well, I did specifically warn you that it couldn't be guessed.

I also specifically told you where to buy the correct type of low ESR capacitor, if that proved to be the fault cause. If you used anything other than the correct type, you can expect to be doing the job again, soon.

What was the capacitance, voltage rating and ESR of the original?

I used like for like as it lasted 8 years before it went bad,
16V 1000uF 105°C Long Life radial Capacitor

Long Life Ultra Low impedance / Low ESR

4000 Hours @ 105 C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back