Which type of screed for UFH?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Appologies if this has been covered before, but couldn't find anything.
I want to know the pro's and cons of traditional screed vs liquid screed over my UFH.

The make up is DPM, 100mm concrete slab, 75mm kingspan type insulation (with 25mm round the outside walls), thin vapour barrier with pipes ontop and then a screed.

Not sure weather to go for a sand/cement/fibres screed or same with some additives or a liquid screed.
Main interests are curing speed, screed depth, finish, cost and durability

Thanks for any info

Jim

Sponsored Links
1)Liquid screed is normally only 50 mm vs 70 mm for trad screed.
2) Liquid screed is denser so transfers heat more efficiently
3) Related to 2) as the liquid surrounds the pipe much more closely so gives better heat-transfer.
4) Trad screed needs expansion-joints for surfaces greater than 30 m2, liquid is 300 ( I think )
5) It's so much easier to have the liquid pumped in :D
6) Liquid is going to be much more level with a smoother surface.

Not sure I understand your durability question. Neither is supposed to be left uncovered.

I laid one floor with sand/cement and additive and had two pumped. It;s not much use to you on a comparative basis as I live in France but the pumped floors were actually cheaper. I paid E 30/m2 ( about GBP 25)

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Thanks for the replies, I'm just going to get a few quotes now for the liquid screed. What sort of cost should I be expecting for 2 m cubed of the stuff (30m2 x 0.065m depth), pumped and finished?

Sponsored Links
well its looking at about double the cost for the liquid screed, about £600 for sand/cement with fibres and £1200 for the liquid screed

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back