Screed types for UFH/Tiling/Kitchen fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for the mega-thread, I decided to keep everything in one discussion as it is all linked together.

I am at a stage in the build where tasks have to be fixed in the schedule, to avoid unnecessary costs. The kitchen supplier has to fix delivery and fitting but after the screed is laid down I have to allow for drying time. This means I will not be able to tile before the kitchen delivery. The screed is also going to have a wet UFH system.

One option proposed by the contractor is to fit the kitchen on the screeded floor and tile afterwards under the pelmets. But the supplier is obviously advising of extra costs for completing and another visit from the fitter. Ideally, I wanted to tile the entire floor. This would be easier to pull any appliances out in the future (if needed) but also allow some tolerance for island positioning if necessary.

My builder suggested we could use the UFH at low temp with traditional screed to speed up the drying. Is this something standard and how far can it help?

I also started looking into screed options and consider whether liquid screed would help?

But this raises many more questions about:
  • extra cost? is it trading off on labour costs for laying down cement screed?
  • suitable types of liquid screed for wet UFH?
  • technical implications? how it should be laid or prepared for tiling etc
  • thickness? I read is less, will this affect existing order allowances made for kitchen unit height and bifolds threshold...

The base is compacted hardcore 150mm, 1200g membrane, 100mm celotex, 500g membrane and then a screed of 75mm (assuming standard screed). The shell is currently complete with celotex to be done next.

I have no information on the UFH system from the builder yet, I presume it will be a standard system.

Sponsored Links
After searching with different keywords I realised that some questions can be answered partly in older posts and partly from liquid screed manufacturers. I ask because things may be slightly different in 2017...

However, it seems that liquid screed also needs a fair amount of time to dry and it is not clear how much this is accelerated by the dehumidifying process.

To reverse the question a little, if I went with conventional screed I understand that some fiber needs to be added to make the mix stronger for UFH.
Can low temp UFH be applied after curing together with dehumidifying for conventional screed to accelerate drying in a controlled manner?
There are some arguments about this in the forum but unclear if used as a matter of course or damages the screed...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back