Which type of shower pump do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've no experience of shower pumps, and need to install one to enable a downstairs bathroom to be used while we renovate upstairs...
The hot water cylinder is vented, and very svlixated on a first floor bedroom cupboard. The pressure at downstairs bathroom taps is insufficient for a shower...
Any recommendations gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
You need one of these:

or one of these for the whole house:

Andy

While I agree with Herts P&D re. getting a Stuart Turner pump, if:
a. the renovations are not going to take long (< 1 year)
AND
b. the pump will be redundant when renovation completed

then a cheaper pump like the Stuart Turner "Showermate" range would probably suffice.

Thanks. All being well well need to use the pump for about 6 months.
Is a 'twin pump' "one that pumps both hot and cold? The cold is mains pressure so I assume this doesn't need pumping? Does this mean I just need a single pump?

Sponsored Links
The pressure at downstairs bathroom taps is insufficient for a shower...
Have you bought the shower? If you have a CWST in the loft you should have at least 3m head available, which with an appropriate shower head ought to give an adequate flow.

Last edited:
There is a header tank for the hw cylinder in the loft but surprisingly little pressure at ground floor taps...

There is a header tank for the hw cylinder in the loft but surprisingly little pressure at ground floor taps...
I suspect you mean low flow at the ground floor taps. If you want to run the shower from existing pipework, which might be 15mm, it could be a problem. But in that case the pumped solution needs a bit of care to ensure it won't cavitate. If it's possible to run new 22mm pipes gravity would likely be OK.
Also the hot and cold for the shower should come from nominally equal pressures, do you have water from the CWST downstairs, or just mains?

Just mains downstairs. I think I'll start by putting some mixer taps on the old bath downstairs and see what happens....

Just mains downstairs. I think I'll start by putting some mixer taps on the old bath downstairs and see what happens....
I don't think it's acceptable for a shower to have cold from mains, hot from pump or gravity, but perhaps pros on here can confirm, or otherwise.

Fitted a mixer... The steel bath is so old it's got square tap holes so had to knock up some washers...

Attachments

• 16823314152125270200949838990928.jpg
    16823314152125270200949838990928.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 32

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back