Which wall plugs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m hanging a kitchen extractor back which has fallen off the wall. It’s come away from the bottom where the two screws & plugs have come clean out. Whoever has put it on has used brown plugs which haven’t even opened up. So checking the holes one side is completely hollow & the other hole seems half hollow & half solid. Which plugs would be best to use in this case?

Sponsored Links
What does that mean?

What is the wall construction - plaster on masonry?
So tapping around one hole on one side it is completely hollow all around. I think there is a gap in between the plasterboard & the concrete block which is why it’s sounding hollow. The hole on the other side tapping around that it’s partly hollow & partly solid.

Sponsored Links
If the wall is hollow then you'll need Molly bolts to grip on the the wall you're tapping into, otherwise a rawl plug will wave around in the gap without holding on to anything.

Hollow wall anchors for plasterboard on stud or block wall, core fix for dot and dab on block wall. Measure the gap to get the right sized fixing, the gap between the back of the plasterboard and the solid block behind it.

Blup

Hollow wall anchors for plasterboard on stud or block wall, core fix for dot and dab on block wall. Measure the gap to get the right sized fixing, the gap between the back of the plasterboard and the solid block behind it.

Blup
I’ve used corefix before but the maximum gap between wall & block to use these says 45mm, the gap I have is about 60mm. Any other fixings I could use?

You could cut down and add a spare steel sleeve to achieve the required length but would lose some depth of the plug in the masonry.

But Hollow wall anchor should be suitable for that depth.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back