Which way to fit 6mm Plexiglas acrylic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am putting some 6mm clear acrylic into our garage to replace the old windows.

One side says 'Service side' and one is just plain.

Does anyone know which side should face the outside elements?
Does it even matter??

Irritatingly Plexiglas.net gives no clue, and the cabp website seems to give no help - both of which I find rather unfathomable.

Many google searches have also returned nothing of any help.

Can any one help me once again please??

Many thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
I would stick my neck out and say service side means outside, it may have a UV coating on to stop it going yellow or clouding.

Thanks for that Crank,

that was my initial thought as well, just at a loss that these manufacturers can really develop these products without making it nice and clear what side needs to face outwards :rolleyes:

Or if you are going to miss something important like that off, at least make a guide available on the website you have taken the time to print on the protective sheet, instead of which way to fit it :evil:

Cheers

Dan

For the benefit of anyone who searches the forums:

I rang them today, and the official line is it makes no odds, but when pressed he said it is safest to put the 'service side' facing out just in case.....

Cheers

Dan

Sponsored Links
Ditto.. For the benefit of anyone who searches the forums..as I did.. and had the same question about the service side marked on one side..

The answer I got from the supplier was that the Service side differs only in the thickness/durability of the paper linings.. The service side paper is thicker.. and should be used when machining on router table saw-benches etc..

Although I have noticed this on one of the plexiglass suppliers info:
"The color may vary slightly from batch to batch. The reverse side
of solid translucent or opaque colored sheets may differ slightly
from the controlled service side, which is marked with the grade."

I decided to place my service side on the inside as I thought it might be more durable.. and they said that the UV aspects of acrylic is the same all the way through.. eg on both sides..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back