Which Wireless Thermostat? - Vaillant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new Vaillant boiler fitted and was looking at the thermostat options. To my surprise, there is a crap load:

VAILLANT TIMESWITCH 140
VAILLANT VRC 400 WALL MOUNTED WEATHER COMPENSATOR
VAILLANT VRT 50 DIGITAL ROOM THERMOSTAT
VAILLANT VR 65 CONTROL CENTRE
VAILLANT VRC430 DIGITAL WEATHER COMPENSATOR
VAILLANT VRT 30 MECHANICAL ROOM THERMOSTAT
VAILLANT VR81 REMOTE CONTROL UNIT
VAILLANT VRC 430F WIRELESS WEATHER COMPENSATOR
VAILLANT VRT 360 PROGRAMMABLE ROOM THERMOSTAT
VAILLANT VRT 360 WIRELESS ROOM THERMOSTAT
VAILLANT VRT 392 PROGRAMMABLE ROOM CONTROL
VAILLANT VRT 392 WIRELESS PROGRAMMABLE ROOM CONTROL

What the hell do I go for?

The Timeswitch 140 seems to do what is required but the 430F Wireless Weather control caught my eye. I think both of these units plug into the fascia of the boiler therefore I assume, and correct me if I am wrong, I can only buy one or the other (not both) - is that right?

Do I need to buy both of the above items or just one?

Can the 430F do what the time switch does?

If I purchased the 430F, do I need to buy anything else to work with it?

How does the 430F work wirelessly with the boiler? - 430F into the fascia, a sensor (presumably included in the package) installed on the outside and the two communicate with each other?

I think the big question is that if I got the 430F on it's own, do I need to purchase any additional gadgets to make it work? and can the 430F do what the Timeswitch 140 does?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As I have recently had a VRC430f installed, I will offer a response:

(1) yes, you could install a VRC430f or a timeswitch, but not both

(2) the VRC430f comes with three main components --- an external temperature sensor, a radio receiver unit attached to the boiler (that may optionally be plugged into a slot in the boiler), and a control unit (normally installed in living-room) which also includes a temperature sensor. These units are all that are required for operation with a compatible boiler, and they use wireless communications. So nothing else has be bought.

(3) the VRC430f has capabilities beyond a simple timer:- (a) VRC430f allows setting up of time-slots when you want the room at the required temperature [as distinct from time-slots when the boiler is switched on and off]; (b) unlike a timer, VRC430f allows different room target temperatures in those daily time-slots; (c) VRC430f allows setting up of a night set-back room temperature outside the main heating time-slots; (d) VRC430f is "weather compensated", ie it compares external and internal temperatures and modulates the boiler precisely to minimise consumption of gas. And it has "optimum start and stop" capability, ie it determines when to switch the boiler on and off, based on those temperature readings; (e) VRC430f has a holiday programme capability to allow reduced heating when away; (f) VRC430f has an elaborate capability to protect the system (not just the boiler) from frost.

(4) the VRC430f is supposed to set the CH flow target temperature precisely. But that depends not just on internal and external temperatures, but on building heat loss. Therefore a "heating curve", suitable for the building, has to be selected.

There are various views on the VRC430f. Some people don't like the complexity, and regard it as too nerdy. Certainly, some boning up is a good idea --- the instructions are available online. My own experience is so far favourable.

If you boiler is already installed with all the valves and pipework connected, then you may already be a bit limited.

I looked at all the various options when my Vaillant Ecotec 415 was installed.
All their options seemed quite expensive, and I did not see the advantage of weather compensation as my property is very well insulated.

In the end I just had the Switchmaster Lifestyle heating control pack, LWC 1 wiring centre, etc, as it was cheaper bought as a complete pack.
I did not used the supplied room thermostat, but instead used a programmable wireless thermostat from Screwfix.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/93829...ting-Controls/Horstmann-HRFS1-Room-Thermostat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back