Whirlpool ADP7406 Dishwasher top spray arm not moving around

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi there just become owner of a second hand Whirlpool ADP7406 Dishwasher. Seems to work fine except for when I opened door quickly I noticed bottom spray arm was going around but top arm was not moving. As a test I positioned both spray arms in same position, closed door then opened up the door. Bottom spray arm had moved and top one stayed in the place i left it, but water was pouring out of the holes in the top spray arm for a bit after opening door so water is getting to it. Took out upper spray arm and prodded all holes with a paper clip, a little bit of food in the holes (rice!) but nothing substantial.

Put back in washer still didnt turn around, then took it out again threw caution to the wind and split the top spray arm apart and out fell a bit of black electrical insulation tape!! - how on earth did that get all the way up to the top spray arm? - its beyond me, anyway no wonder it didnt go around with that in it. Tried supergluing it back together, but failed and still not going round

- so now I have just ordered a reconditioned top spray bar from the net. Do you think thats all it needs or is there other common problem on these Whirlpool makes why top arm doesnt spin. If it dont spin round when i get this reconditioned one could it be wash pump fault? - ie not pumping enough force to turn top spray arm? - although if that were the case would not the bottom one not turn around too? - many thanks for help and suggestions, apart from that top arm not spinning it looks a decent machine.

Sponsored Links
Common promblem with any dishwasher where user fails to clean filter effectively and reseat it correctly allowing food waste into pump.

had the recirculating pump apart today and found this:

PUMP.jpg

bungSmall.jpg

So no wonder the arm wasnt going around, not enough force of water going through it. Wish now i checked pump first before ordering a reconditioned spray arm - ah well you live and learn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back