whirlpooland rcd

Sym

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wiring in my whirlpool in the bathroom - it is using existing cableing which is to standard. But it is wired straight to the CU. It obviously needs a rcd. Should this RCD be down in the cellar next to the CU or can it be in place in the airing cupbourd in the bathroom where the cableing goes to?

Sponsored Links
As you said, an rcd is needed and in theory it can be anywhere on the circuit, but for convenience, I would mount it in the airing cupboard (which is outside any of the bathroom "zones"). That way it can be turned off for cleaning, maintenance etc...

Use a Powerbreaker H92 fused spur or equivalent

That's a 13A fused spur combined with rcd.

I ve seen the rcd's installed at the mains area or within the airing cupboard....its upto you.....does it need to be on an rcd in the first place...

Sponsored Links
MB......Here is your challenge......prove me wrong ;)

Fitted an off-set corner bath with 8 jet system.
RCD went into the airing cupboard next to the Bathroom.
Paul

il78 can't do any harm

If you want to put a washingmachine in bathroom (in a/c or z3) then it must be protected by an rcd and wired thro a spur.

Can't go wrong if you treat other bathroom appliances in the same way.

Don't forget, BS7671 is a MINIMUM standard.........

We aint talking about a washing machine, and we aint talking about an ordinary appliance......A shower / whirlpool bath pump has been designed to be put in that area (ie, zone 1, 2 & 3) without the need to be protected by an RCD......location of the switch, of course.....It kinda annoys me when sparks say "showers need to be on a RCD, why? because it does"

Don't forget, BS7671 is a MINIMUM standard.........

Funny.....thats what I work to......

All I'm saying is that the regs is a minimum standard to work to and if you want to better it then you can't go wrong. I happen to work for the RCD promotion board and I plug them whenever I can (no pun intended!)

No really. A lot of shower mfrs recommend rcd's and I think they are a good thing. I know a shower is designed for the location, (and a whirlpool come to it), and I know that neither are a hand held appliance and neither is used out of doors, but there is a greatly reduced body resistance in a bathroom (ie naked, wet, no shoes) and showers, w/pools etcetera still go wrong.
You wouldn't thin twice about protecting a socket outlet likely to supply equipment for use outdoors ie lawnmower....wet lawn...etc and that is when the user is generally clothed and shod. (no not like a horse b4 anyone says!) Why not in a bathroom situation?

That's my philosophy on why I use them.

What's your arguement against????

Firstly hand held equipment for outdoors use, is totally different....as its hand held.......

And your argument about fitting an RCD to whirlpool / shower pump just in case it goes faulty / wrong

showers, w/pools etcetera still go wrong.

Should we put a fire extinguisher by the fuse board, just in case it went on fire....(it happens, we work side by side with an insurance company)

The equipment has been designed to be placed in those situations, and the best we can do as engineers is work to BS:7671, put RCDs in, I dont mind them...if you want to charge the client extra....great stuff.

Regards,

Ian

(I aint havin a go.....its just interesting to know)

Sorry to just add (in a rush before)

My argument against RCDs

Honestly there isn't one.......how can there be, they are installed for safety.....but as I said above "if its designed to suit blar blar" then no-one can come to harm...and we shouldn't start to rely on RCDs..they can go faulty aswell....(Ian looks into his can, where once his worms wriggled)

Ian, I take your point about hand held equipment and outdoors, as mentioned in previous post, but also see similar risks in bathroom. As mentioned before, like no clothes/shoes and water in abundance. And I'm afraid your point about not relying on rcds cos they go wrong too.....well why do we fit them on rings? Because in the main (no pun intended), they do work and work well. In certain countries in europe they are known as "Salve vita" - Life Saver.

We fit them to rings because of the risk of using equipment outdoors.....and I cant see a similar risk in a bathroom if all critea is met (ie, suitable equipment in the right zones) fair enough if some-one sticks a washing machine (etc) on a fuse spur then of course (to BS7671).....and whats stopping a wet naked body from exiting the bathroom and going into the bedroom (where-ever). And should we then be fitting RCDs to all circuits within the kitchen, sometimes I wash the dishes :eek: dont dry my hands and turn the light off......

RCDs can faulty and occasionally not work......who was saying about the dishwasher fault where the enginner had disconnected the earth at the mains to stop it tripping?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back