Whistling Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My elderly mum lives in a 1 bed flat in sheltered accommodation.

She has a Biasi Boiler (Wall hung, fan flue, room sealed gas boiler) Model 24s...apologies copied this from the manual. So its a Combi and about 20 years old.

She has 3 rads in the flat, 1 shower. She's had it serviced regularly by a local company with a decent reputation.

Last year she paid £300 for a new microswitch.

In the last few weeks its developed a very loud whistle. It doesn't happen all of the time, I managed to get it whistling by operating the heating , then hot water and so on.

She had an engineer around yesterday, who eventually got it whistling(after 15 mins or so) said he knew what it was and replaced a Diaphragm. That didn't cure it but she was charged £110.

He now thinks its needs some kind of valve and they have quoted a further £180. Asked if this would cure the whistle they couldn't guarantee it. So after spending £300 ten months ago she could be another £300 down on a 20 year boiler that still might whistle !

I'm not sure of the technique of simply throwing new parts at a boiler at the expense of the customer in the hope it may fix it, that doesn't sound right to me but I guess its an old bit of kit.

Any suggestions ? She's open to the idea of a new boiler when Covid calms down. Should she be looking at just replacing it and what would a ball park figure be for replacing. As said, 1 bed small flat, single occupant, 3 rads, 2 taps and 1 shower.

Just to add she's on the first floor (I guess they'd need some sort of access to the external wall)

cheers

Sponsored Links
Just a thought but as it's a flat - does the freeholder have responsibility for the boiler etc ? Maybe your mum isn't aware of that.

Just a thought but as it's a flat - does the freeholder have responsibility for the boiler etc ? Maybe your mum isn't aware of that.

Not in this case I'm afraid. She's literally just had a quote from the same company who visited yesterday, £2100. I'll get a few more quotes, I believe some old dear down the corridor had a replacement recently so we'll see find out what she paid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back