Whistling Chaffoteaux boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

My Chaffoteaux & Maury MX2 boiler whistles when the central heating is on. I have a British Gas contract and have had them out several times. Each time they have been unable to cure it.
When I complained a different engineer came out and said the noise was caused by sludge in the system and I would need the system flushing and a valve fitting which would cost me £680 and surprisingly despite my all singing all dancing comprehensive policy it wasn't covered.

Not being very impressed with British Gas, I decided to drain and flush the system myself first. The water that came out was completely clear from the start but then it is only about two years old. Nevertheless, I completely drained it and then flushed it for a while before refilling it.

Unfortunately it hasn't cured the whistling and I am even more sceptical about British Gas diagnosis.

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

The whistling drives me mad. :evil:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry I forgot to mention that when I drained the system, two of the raditators didn't drain properly as when I bled all the radiators on refilling the system, there was no air in them.

Does this suggets there is a problem with the thermostatic valves (which were all open when I drained the system) and could it contribute to the whistling?

Thanks again.

wheres the whistling coming from.the boiler or rads.trvs can whistle so can a boiler.maybe the reason the rads didnt drain is the piping arrangement.

If you read the very small print you may find it really is covered, but they don't want you to know about it. Another BG con.

Sponsored Links
wheres the whistling coming from.the boiler or rads.trvs can whistle so can a boiler.maybe the reason the rads didnt drain is the piping arrangement.

The whistling is coming from the boiler itself. Thanks

It can be caused inside the boiler by lime scale.

That is probably not covered on the BG contract either.

I acid clean them in situ for £180 but most people replace them for about £240.

It might just be the gas conditions need adjustment.

Both activities need a gas registered engineer.

Tony

Sounds like scale deposits in main heat ex, but as Tony rightly says it's not covered. It's in the T&cs but ONLY where you've been told this prior.
Could easily be sonic cleaned

Sounds like scale deposits in main heat ex, but as Tony rightly says it's not covered. It's in the T&cs but ONLY where you've been told this prior.

Could easily be sonic cleaned

As its not covered in the BG contracts, is this an activity carried out by BG at extra costs?

What does it involve? Is it a service that I should be offering?

It always surprises me that BG so often just say something is not covered without giving a quotation ( apart from PF ) to do it on a chargeable basis outside the contract.

Tony

Got any more info about this "sonic clean" technique?. Sounds like something off Doctor Who!

Maybe you stand there for an hour screaming at the boiler and the vibrations will dislodge the limescale.

It can be caused inside the boiler by lime scale.

That is probably not covered on the BG contract either.

I acid clean them in situ for £180 but most people replace them for about £240.

It might just be the gas conditions need adjustment.

Both activities need a gas registered engineer.

Tony

Thanks Agile :)

We have very soft water up here in the Manchester area. I have lived up here since 1992 and never seen any lime scale build up on my kettle element as used to happen alot where I previously lived in Lincolnshire.

Is it still likely to be lime scale?

The whistling is only caused when the heating is on and gets hot, but it stops if you turn the hot water tap on. Does that indicate anythng different?

Thanks alot for all the advice, I really appreciate it. :)

It only takes a minute quantity of limescale to cause the whistling.

The boiler operates at a higher temperature on heating than hot water.

Turn down the CH temp knob slowly down while its whistling and it will probably stop.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back