Whistling radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

We had a new central heating system installed a few months ago with a new combi boiler (Ideal) and new pipework and radiators (from Selco). One of the rads (possibly more but this is the only one i've noticed) makes a quiet whistling sound every now and then and the only way to stop it is to turn the TRV (Drayton) ever so slightly one way or the other and then it stops for a while (usually an hour or 2). It is quite quiet but i work from home and it's in my office so it's really quite irritating (plus it would irritate me if i had to sleep in there)!

I would get the plumber back who installed it but to say we parted on bad terms would be an understatement. He is a thieving b****d (but gas safe registered, although i'm not sure how given how much we had to redo). He in fact dropped chicken grease all over my newly sanded floor that obviously wouldn't come out as a parting gift before he left. So I won't be calling him back and wanted some opinions as I can't afford another plumber right now!

Cheers,

Dave

Sponsored Links
Remove the sensing head from the TRV and see if this stops the noise, if it does you have narrowed it down to the TRV it may be faulty or just fitted in the wrong direction, most modern TRVs claim to be Bi-directional but to be honest a lot are not and some need to be set depending on the oriontation of their install, if removing the sensor solves the problem come back on and tell us which model of TRV you have and whether it is installed on the flow or the return (flow should be the hottest)

Ian

I used to get this problem when the room got up to temperature and the TRV started to close it would whistle. Once it closed the whistling stopped. I solved it by reducing the flow through the problematic radiator.

What speed is the CH pump on? If its on 3 you could try turning it down to 2. Otherwise you can try closing the lockshield on the problematic radiator a bit.

In both cases this may upset the balance of the system so you would need to rebalance it.

Sponsored Links
I expect there is no auto bypass valve or its wrongly set!

I also suggest resetting the lockshield valve after dealing with the auto bypass.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back