White anti-rust primer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to repaint some rusty girders and other metalwork a magnolia colour, to match the walls, inside a large workshop. I'm not looking for a gloss finish, has to match the walls, which is magnolia masonry paint.

I intend to use an anti-rust primer, possibly then a white or off-white oil-based undercoat, then the masonry paint on this metalwork.

Does anyone know of a decent rust killing anti-rust metal primer that is white or off-white, as opposed to the usual greys, browns, reds, etc?

Sponsored Links
I have a can of Dulux Metal Preservative Primer which is off-white or very pale grey.

Had it a long time though.

The Zinc Phosphate one is sort of beige.

How about using some Owatrol oil ?
It is a paint conditioner and rust inhibitor so you can add it to an oil based primer or you can paint it on neat. I would use Zinsser Cover Stain (make sure you get the oil based one as there is also a water based version)

http://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/item.php?stock=22

I use it to help paint flow and make it easier to use - its not cheap, may not be easily available unless you go to decent decorators merchants but it works really well !

You can then paint over it with any paint, so your wall paint will be fine ensuring a perfect match !

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd rather treat the thing with Killrust, then anti rust primer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back