Preventing rust from steel wool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently stripped some skirting with stripper & steel wool and a door with a heat gun. After painting with a water-based primer/undercoat and then oil based gloss I now see small rust marks on the skirting but not on the door.

Am I correct in thinking that the rust is the result of embedded steel wool? Is there anyway to remedy what I have already done and prevent it happening when stripping and repainting in the future.

Thanks,

Bob

Sponsored Links
It may well be however if you want to truly get rid of the rust don't use Hammerite or Ronseal neither will treat the rust properly there "quick fix" paint is a scam. The best remedy is some sort of Rust converter which will cure the rust indefinitely and turn it black then you can paint over it.

Thanks for your rely wilsonspaints1990, but I think you might have misunderstood my situation. I have small flecks of rust from steel wool in paintwork on wooden skirting (and will again if I prep/paint the same way in future). Aren't rust converters for use on metal surfaces, or is the Bradite product for use on any substrate?

Sponsored Links
Yes i understand. The Bradite convertor can be used to spot prime the small flecks and then you could just touch them up with the paint you've used

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back