How to prepare and paint concrete gate posts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My concrete gate posts are peeling badly and need stripping and repainting. I spent an hour this evening with a blow torch and scraper and managed about 10% of one post ! Is there a better/quicker way of getting the paint off ? Would paint stripper work ? What about a power washer ? Anything else ?

Also the metal gate supports have rusted and left brown stains on the old paint. So what would you recommend to coat these to prevent that happening again? Hammerite rust treatment and then Metal primer?

Any top tips appreciated

JohnB

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have answered your own question there john... :D

if you are having to burn off the old paint and it is peeling I suspect it might be oil based gloss.

Try wet-and-dry abrasive paper

Once you are back to the concrete I recommend masonry paint. Dulux Smooth Weathershield is good. It is water-based. You apply one or two mist coats thinned with water to seal the surface, then one or two topcoats. It is slightly breathing and should not peel.

These are concrete fence posts painted dark brown to blend into the stained wood fence

View media item 975
Hammerite hides rusty steel but does not prevent the rust growing under the paint.

Use Kurust to kill the old rust after you have wire-brushed it clean, then use a conventional metal-preservative primer, undercoat, gloss. Not car paint. Even old-fashioned Red Oxide primer will do a good job. Do this before the masonry paint. Let the masonry paint overlap onto the metal a bit to prevent gaps.

p.s. Stripping Off Paint

If you are stripping off paint because it is loose, and you come to bit that is firm and adhering well (i.e. it is very difficult to scrape off) then why strip it? It is firm so paint over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back