Painting Metal Gates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have been asked to paint these metal gates.
View media item 45347Each gate is 6' wide about 5' high there are two sets.
They just have the factory undercoat on which is weathering and showing the galvanised through in parts I thought special metal primer on the galvanised areas and then CombiColor paint 2 coats.
Any estimates on how long it will take?
I thought 2 days in all - 1 day per pair I've never painted anything as detailed as this before.
Looks like it could take time.
Thanks
g.

Sponsored Links
Are there 2 pairs of gates or just the one pair in the photo?
Check the paint drying times, a day on each may not be enough, overnight is usual between coats.

Hi
There are two sets of gates.
I phoned the guy last night and told him £200 + 2.5ltr CombiColor at around £30.
I have been told there is no more than 8 hours involved work for both pairs but I cannot see how anyone can paint themthat quickly!!!!
Or maybe I am really Slooooooooooooooooow :oops:
G.

Sponsored Links
Painters mitten might be useful.
If its the client that says it can be done in 8 hours, just skip proper prep and whack one coat on and let them face the consequences and offer no warranty.
If the client has been told 8 hours explain to them the benefits of a good pro job with proper prep, u/c and quality paints, and the false economy in doing a rushed tosh

[If its the client that says it can be done in 8 hours, just skip proper prep and whack one coat on and let them face the consequences and offer no warranty.]

Quite agree dcdec, if a client told me how long I should take to do the job, I would advise them of their error and if not agreed, WALK !!!

By the way, how well do those mitts work :?: Heard of them and seen them in the dec stores but never used one on railings, only the small roller.

I've never used a mitt oldgreymouse, just know its an option really for this type of job, i think you'd use and chuck as can't imagine they'd be too easy to clean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back