Cleanin paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings

Can anyone recommend the quickest way to prepare metal for re painting? The current structure is a bit rusty and the existing paint is flaky. Is it quicker to scrape it with a scraper or to use paint stripper? Also does the rust have to be sanded out before applying the undercoat? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not sure what size of job you're tackling here, but you can get a rotary wire brush for an angle grinder that'll remove rust and clean the metal pretty well. Make sure you always wear goggles when using one though cause they shed their wire with use and they really hurt. You'd really be better using a full face mask. I did an iron gate a few months back and just wore goggles - ended up with little nicks on my face that stung.
Have fun.

gcol said:
Not sure what size of job you're tackling here, but you can get a rotary wire brush for an angle grinder that'll remove rust and clean the metal pretty well. Make sure you always wear goggles when using one though cause they shed their wire with use and they really hurt. You'd really be better using a full face mask. I did an iron gate a few months back and just wore goggles - ended up with little nicks on my face that stung.
Have fun.

HE'S BACK...THE NIGHTMARE RETURNETH! :eek:

Yep id agree with that..the wire brush bits are good..but if the rust isnt too severe id recommend using a drill instead..the angle grinders are nasty machines in untrained hands..coupled with wire brushes..take the less risky option if possible..but as Gcol says..make sure you glove an goggle up well..

does the rust have to be sanded out before applying the undercoat?

As much as possible yes...and its not undercoat you want its suitable metal primer which in the case of ferrous metal..zinc phosphate will do ya...or 'all porpous primer'...which is also zinc phosphate..

If you dont think its worth buying primer...use hammerite.

Hello Gar...nice holiday with the boys?..hope you behaved :rolleyes:

Hi Steve, miss me?
Just about sobered up now.
As the saying goes "what happens on the island stays on the island" ;) In other words..... I **** out. So yeah I behaved. :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies - I got some steel brushes which I will use on the 14 v cordless. I am cleaning and replacing the frames of 2 site screens. Got some metal primer from b & q - cheapest stuff - club is on a tight budget! Thanks again

gcol said:
Hi Steve, miss me?
Just about sobered up now.
As the saying goes "what happens on the island stays on the island" ;) In other words..... I s**t out. So yeah I behaved. :)

Wise man..im glad you resusted temptation..

I told your mrs not to worry when she e mailed me and then chatted on msn messenger..I told her you would behave yourself.

;)

I forgot to mention the lovely clear picture on your web cam btw... :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back