quick way of removing textured paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does anyone know if there is a quick way of removing textured paint (think it is paint with sand in it, not sure) from a ceiling? I've tried using a wallpaper stripper, but that didn't really help (paint is directly on the plaster ceiling rather than on paper). Best so far is heat with a hot air paint stripper and scrape it off, but that is pretty hard work. Any suggestions very welcome...

Sponsored Links
Textured Paint Remover ! It is a difference type of paint stripper

what is textured paint stripper? is it something I can buy from B&Q or similar? also I'd prefer to steer clear of anything too toxic (e.g. nitromors etc) as my wife is pregnant and it probably isn't a very good idea to expose her to solvents

Sponsored Links
I have a similar problem in my bathroom. It must have been a craze as my mate also had it in a couple of rooms in his house. What he did was scrape all the lumpy bits off as much as he could and then got in a plasterer.

I want to try the DIY way first so I shall try using a wallpaper stripper and if that fails then Nitromors Textured Paint Remover. I don't mind buying the stripper as it will come in useful for other jobs and only costs £20.

Although the original post by Benm is nearly 6 YEARS old:
That type of stuff was called Polytex. The best way to sort it out is to give it a coat of pva and plaster over it. All over in one go.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back