White blotches on Red Emulsion wall

G

griffbabe

Hi,

Can anyone answer this?

I painted an interior wall of an outbuilding - a portacabin - in a red colour this last week.
Despite the colder weather it seemed to go off ok, needed a little extra touch up for a solid colour, did that, looked great the over next couple of days.

Past 2 days we've had -4 degrees and in the cabin today its suddenly covered in chalky white blotches.

Can anyone tell me what this is and what I need to do?

Thanks!
J

Sponsored Links
Tricky one this Griff,

It could be one of a few things. Without seeing the blotches it’s difficult to say what it is.

Saponification causes chalky, blotches. It’s caused by the minerals in mortar leaching through, but it’s unlikely on the inside wall of a Portacabin.

It’s unlikely to have been nipped by the frost because it doesn’t cause white blotching. Maybe something is wrong with the paint or something on the surface grinning through. It’s a little soon for mould to appear, maybe blooming?

Can you offer more of a description on what the surface was before you painted, what paint you used and what the blotches look like – are they raised and bumpy, can you rub it off with your finger…

A stab in the dark but it might well be the result of the cold. Touch dry is possible even below the recommended temperature but the paint won't cure until 5 to 10 degrees.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Just so your not all kept awake at night by this - I think I have fixed it.
Problem was soap left on the roller, I got a damp cloth on the blotches and it foamed up. Cleaned it all off without lifting the paint noticeably.
I had used some fairy liquid when cleaning the rollers previously, I guess I had not rinsed it thoroughly enough.

Doh!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back