White eggshell lustre gone creamy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Painted the skirtings and arkis in the bedroom 6 months ago with Johnstones brilliant white eggshell lustre mid sheen. Ive just been to touch a scratch up and can now see that the colour has deteriorated to a yellowy/cream colour. Ive e-mailed them expressing my dissatisfaction at their product, but what can you reccommend i re paint them with that will stay white and be a satin finish.

Sponsored Links
Give them a reallt good rub down undercoat with Acrylic and then top coat usinf Acrylic eggshell/satin it doesnt yellow.

Is the room dark and warm?...or was the bit you touched up behind something?

Whats an arkis by the way?

Did the original with a white acrylic undercoat and the top coat is eggshell. The room hasnt really been used as its a spare bedroom so its been un heated. The walls are matt white which really shows the yellowy skirtings up. What make (manufacturer) of paint do you recommend?

Arkis = architraves

To be honest Johnstones is as good as any when it comes to acrylics etc

Sponsored Links
ok, thanks for the swift replies, i will wait and see what johnstones say in reply to my e-mail

Dont expect much..

They, like most paint companies will defend their product to the hilt.

They will use the letter of the law and quote perfect senarios for applying and maintaining their products

The classic get out when you ring a technical advice line to have a grumble as I did about Dulux Diamond Matt...

"Ive never heard of that happening before"

or the classic...

"Did you stir the paint before you applied it?"

:eek: wow!...stir the paint!!!!...in 30 years of decorating ive never thought of doing that :rolleyes:

Painted the skirtings and arkis in the bedroom 6 months ago with Johnstones brilliant white eggshell lustre mid sheen. Ive just been to touch a scratch up and can now see that the colour has deteriorated to a yellowy/cream colour. Ive e-mailed them expressing my dissatisfaction at their product, but what can you reccommend i re paint them with that will stay white and be a satin finish.

I have had exactly the same issue with Johnstones White Eggshell :(

Is this typical of oil based paints?

Anyone recommend one that wont go yellow?

Its very annoying ... I have more woodwork to paint on some new skirtings which now wont match ... I'll never buy Johnstones paint again.

Buy Dukux then - they are even worse.

I see reading other threads its a common problem with oil based paints ....

What about Leyland Satinwood White ?

Or should I go for a water based satin to avoid any yellowing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back