white gloss-not quite so white!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have just had some plantation shutters installed in my bay window. The shutters are very very bright white and against the surround of the window look a bit weird because the window gloss isn't as bright a white-in fact against this it looks more like a cream!

Painting the shutters isnt an option so I am hoping to find a way of painting the surrounding wood a really bright white so it matches better. The wood is currently painted in a brilliant white gloss. Can anyone recommend anything that might be even whiter?!

Thanks so much in advance for any advice!
Jen

Sponsored Links
If the paint around the window is getting on a bit it will have dulled in brightness esecially if it is an oil baced paint (gone cream colour or even light yellow).

Water baced acrilic gloss paint will stay white and dry quickly. The old paint should be well sanded first witch will show if your paint has dulled or faded and an acrilic undercote applied befor the gloss.

Try to buy your paint from a specialest dealer diy storer have there paint mixex to a price that they set not to a quolity. Just becouse the tin looks the same the paint in the tin may not be.

Ah thanks! Windows newly sanded primed and glossed and still not white enough! !

Sponsored Links
You could always think laterally about this.

The chances are that you are not going to find a white gloss which matches the bright white of your shutters (which I am assuming are UPVC?). Most white paints fade to some extent over time so even if you got a reasonable match to begin with, it may not stay that way. Some uPVC discolours as well but you cannot really predict how much, beforehand. (Depends partly on how much light it is exposed to).

I would abandon that idea and paint the window frames the same colour as - or a slightly lighter or darker shade if you prefer - of the colour on the walls. Then you won't have to worry about two slightly mis-matching shades of white, and the white of the shutters will look much better against a contrasting colour. Anything the same tone or darker than for example F & B 'or Dulux 'Natural Calico' Cornthwaite White' or Dulux 'Natural Calico' would work.

What are the dominant colours in the rest of the room?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back