White MDF sheets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to build some additional shelves in a built in wardrobe and I'm trying to match the existing shelf that was put in when the house was built(about 7years ago)

It looks like the builders have used MDF however it looks like it may have a coating on it rather than being painted white.
Does anyone know where I may be able to get such a product?

I did consider standard furniture board(chipboard) but I'm not a fan of it and I'd ideally like to soften the edges so they're not so sharp which is why I'd prefer MDF.

Sponsored Links
If you don't want chipboard, then you are maybe looking for what in the trade is referred to as MF-MDF (melamine faced MDF). It tends to come in pretty big sheets, e.g. 3m x 2m (called a "jumbo", although 8 x 4ft is sometimes available), and is supplied as a base product to firms like shopfitters, etc. The biggest problem is that the sorts of merchants who stock this rarely have facilities to break it down into cut sizes, or to edge band it, so for those you are on your own unless you can persuade a stockist to get one of their customers to break it down for you. Standard thickness is 18mm, although other thicknesses are sometime available. The way we "soften the edges" is to add a 2mm PVC or ABS edgebanding, then rout flush and finally round over either with a 1.6mm radius rounding over bit or with a fine 10in hand file. There's no other way to do it. If you were a bit nearer my area I'd be able to put you onto a couple of shopfitters who'd like as not sell you a part sheet and cut it, but unfortunately you're a bit too far away. Good luck finding someone if you go that way.

Alternatively why not just buy 18 or better 25mm sheet MDF from B&Q and get them to break it down for you. Radius the edges with a round-over bit in a router and then paint white (sealant, 2/3 undercoats then a top coat flatting between each coat)? The trick with MDF is to sand cut edges down to P240 or finer before painting. To calculate the amount of sag use the Sagulator

Thanks for the tips so far. If I do go down the route of using normal MDF the what's the best way to seal it before putting paint on?

Sponsored Links
Tel77";p="2686991 said:
Thanks for the tips so far. If I do go down the route of using normal MDF the what's the best way to seal it before putting paint on?[/quote
You can buy mdf primer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back