White mould on pavement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a knock at the door from a pavement cleaner saying the white spots on my pavement are mould. Is there any truth to this? I always assumed the spots were pigeon foul because I do see them flying around. I applied thick bleach on the spots and don't really see any effect, which suggests to me those are not mould. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
What is a pavement cleaner?
Man who said he cleans with special heat treatment that will not lift the sand like pressure washer.

Hmm, I just got a brilliant idea. Maybe I will burn the white spots with flame.

Sponsored Links
So some random guy touting for work knocks on your door, tells you the pavement is 'mouldy' (whatever that means) and you think he's just doing you a favour?

So some random guy touting for work knocks on your door, tells you the pavement is 'mouldy' (whatever that means) and you think he's just doing you a favour?
He has, though, giving me the needed prod. I never knew what those spots were and my assumption turned out wrong. Internet suggests those are lichen. I can see the spots are made from individual 1mm^2 oval shaped dots. Bleach had no effect. White vinegar turned the dots greenish. So, definitely biological.

Seems more likely to be efflorescence because vinegar is known to react to it. This could explain why bleach had no effect. The dots are probably just sand grains.

Some of my neighbours got conned into paying some itinerant doorknocker to squirt their paving this summer.

Apart from washing out the sand, it looked brighter than the other houses for a couple of months, then got dirty again

Despite all the negativity towards the door knocker, he was right. Not exactly, but close enough. The white spots are biological and therefore must be lichens. This means bleach is effective, but the effect cannot be seen immediately. The white spots turn green if scrubbed with water and stiff nylon bristle brush. The scrubbing can remove the spots without too much effort after bleaching. It seems to take more effort if not bleached.

Previously I found abrasive "sanding" of the pavings with sand, water, and bleach worked, by pushing the mixture around using a broom. It is not until now did I understand why it worked.

Last edited:
But.... why? Leave it
Look like pigeon foul and unappealing. But it doesn't take much effort to remove the spots individually. So, I can remove some when I have nothing better to do. I can probably just brush them with bleach and let them die and disappear by themselves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back