Ground floor level damp in basement property

N

Negi

Morning all.
Looking for some guidance on a property I’m considering purchasing. There are damp mould spots along the the bottom of an external wall, just above the skirting board. We suspect this level with the height of the pavement outside.
I’ve seen suggestions online that if this is above the damp course (not sure what’s in place it’s a Victorian property) then a channel may be necessary.
Given that the wall is directly adjacent to the pavement I assume this is what would need to be dug? Furthermore there is a light well in the pavement for the basement beneath. There’s no sign of damp in the basement.
I’m not at the property, so extra information is limites but any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I don't think you would be allowed to dig a channel in the pavement. The damp proof course should be at least 150mm above the level of the pavement and these days it is common to use the injection method. This has to be injected from both outside and inside the property. Being Victorian it is unlikely to be a cavity wall and more likely to be a double skinned wall. Are you sure it is mould and not salt stains on the brick surface?

Yeah certainly seemed to be black mould spots as opposed to salt marks. I’m conscious that a new damp course 150mm above the pavement still leaves a fair distance of the wall beneath at risk? Is there any consequence or risk to the Bessemer wall beneath the new damp course?

Sponsored Links
if there is a light well, the wall will be exposed and you may be able to see, or find, the DPC if present.

"Victorian" spans quite a long period, and building practices moved on.

look out for faults that can be remedied, such as dripping gutters, broken drains, leaking waterpipes, and pavements sloping to hold puddles against the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back