White of flues showing

baxi dont allow it neither do ideal
we have heard this argument many times mate, all flues are made with the same PE, just another way of getting out of these daft extended warranties , then there is the new one about terminals melting if fitted at high level , you couldnt make it up

Sponsored Links
we have heard this argument many times mate, all flues are made with the same PE, just another way of getting out of these daft extended warranties , then there is the new one about terminals melting if fitted at high level , you couldnt make it up
Thought it was a bit odd...I always fitted baxi and have never seen that in instructions...still no mention of uv damage.Does strike me as v v unusual.

Thought it was a bit odd...I always fitted baxi and have never seen that in instructions...still no mention of uv damage.Does strike me as v v unusual.

I have never actually seen the UV rationale written down in any MI’s I was verbally told that over the phone from Ideal (I think!). In fact as I said previously I’ve only actually seen the ‘no white showing’ in one MI’s despite numerous others not allowing it . I rang Worcester today to confirm and they said absolutely fine no issue.

Daft other manufacturers haven’t ok’ed it.

I have never actually seen the UV rationale written down in any MI’s I was verbally told that over the phone from Ideal (I think!). In fact as I said previously I’ve only actually seen the ‘no white showing’ in one MI’s despite numerous others not allowing it . I rang Worcester today to confirm and they said absolutely fine no issue.

Daft other manufacturers haven’t ok’ed it.
Baxi said if 3 or 4 inches showing...wrap tape around it.....as Ian says...all seems particularly odd

Sponsored Links
In a lot of cases white showing is an act of laziness

In a lot of cases white showing is an act of laziness

I've lost count of the number of vertical flues, through roofs, with white on show, that I've seen... They glare at you against roof tiles :LOL:

I was also going to suggest taping or wrapping them up... Take it this is permissable? Closure tape?
But surely that would eventually weather and come off or look nasty?

I was also going to suggest taping or wrapping them up... Take it this is permissable? Closure tape?
But surely that would eventually weather and come off or look nasty?

When I spoke to Baxi they suggested as already mentioned taping the last 3 inch was acceptable. Baxi said their flue has a ring approximately 3 inches back from the terminal and many people had mistakably considered this where the rubber collar should sit and hence white would be showing and so to get over this taping that but was acceptable!!!

If it’s acceptable to tape up the 3 inches why isn’t it acceptable to tape the last 12 inches. It’s either acceptable or not as an approach. Taping up, which will ultimately fall off, is a fudge and will look terrible in no time. So in my opinion it is a none starter.

To be honest what a mess this whole situation is.

Taping up, which will ultimately fall off, is a fudge and will look terrible in no time. So in my opinion it is a none starter.

To be honest what a mess this whole situation is.
Sounds wholly ridiculous to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back