White of flues showing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A number of boiler companies do not allow the white section of a flue to be showing at the terminal as that bit in not UV tested.

In fact I am only aware of Worcester allowing it.

Anyone know which other manufactures allow white showing?

I have a tricky install where I have to project the flue beyond the face of the terminating wall to clear smaller wall below the terminal. I can’t use a flue diverter as the air intake would still be too close to the lower wall. Therefore poking the flue out further is my my only option but now I am wondered what manufacturers will allow more white of the flue showing.

Any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
My vaillant flue sticks out a good 30cm - Is this wrong?

Sponsored Links
A number of boiler companies do not allow the white section of a flue to be showing at the terminal as that bit in not UV tested.

In fact I am only aware of Worcester allowing it.

Anyone know which other manufactures allow white showing?

I have a tricky install where I have to project the flue beyond the face of the terminating wall to clear smaller wall below the terminal. I can’t use a flue diverter as the air intake would still be too close to the lower wall. Therefore poking the flue out further is my my only option but now I am wondered what manufacturers will allow more white of the flue showing.

Any thoughts.
So you can never have sunlight falling on a flue indoors?..Half the countries combi flues are dangerous then?

Steve32 - the balcony kit won’t work in my scenario as the air intake would still be too close (less than 300mm) to the top of the wall below. It would only be 50mm max above the wall. See photo below the tape measure roughly represents where the flue would come out which is too close to the ledge below. Only option is to project flue beyond the top of the wall hence question regarding flues that I can project further beyond the wall. I can’t raise the boiler and flue higher inside as it’s already 50mm off the ceiling. A plume diverter kit wouldn’t move the air intake higher. Baxi’s stance is air intake still be too low despite using a plume/soffit kit. I emailed their technical and they said nope, only option is to raise the flue which I can’t.

upload_2019-9-18_21-5-10.png

SpecialK - no sure if vailliant allow it or not. According to Gasmanstu72 Vailliant do allow it. I couldn’t comment but will enquire.

Durhamplumber - I would agree you see it all the time. However, Baxi/Main/Remeha, intergas, Ideal do not allow white showing. I have spoken to their technical and they confirmed this. I don’t make up the rules but have to try abide by them.

Therefore, my initial question to try resolve my predicament?

To add further I have only actually read white must not be showing in one MI and I think that was intergas. Frustrating really as if all the other companies don’t allow it, it should be stated in the MI’s.

If people have read it others I’d be curious to know which?

To add further I have only actually read white must not be showing in one MI and I think that was intergas. Frustrating really as if all the other companies don’t allow it, it should be stated in the MI’s.

If people have read it others I’d be curious to know which?
It mentions it in baxi instructions but just in context of fitting a guard..I understand it to mean no white showing if using their specific guard...so as to maintain clearances.No mention of UV..

Steve32 - the balcony kit won’t work in my scenario as the air intake would still be too close (less than 300mm) to the top of the wall below. It would only be 50mm max above the wall. See photo below the tape measure roughly represents where the flue would come out which is too close to the ledge below. Only option is to project flue beyond the top of the wall hence question regarding flues that I can project further beyond the wall. I can’t raise the boiler and flue higher inside as it’s already 50mm off the ceiling. A plume diverter kit wouldn’t move the air intake higher. Baxi’s stance is air intake still be too low despite using a plume/soffit kit. I emailed their technical and they said nope, only option is to raise the flue which I can’t.

View attachment 171619

SpecialK - no sure if vailliant allow it or not. According to Gasmanstu72 Vailliant do allow it. I couldn’t comment but will enquire.

Durhamplumber - I would agree you see it all the time. However, Baxi/Main/Remeha, intergas, Ideal do not allow white showing. I have spoken to their technical and they confirmed this. I don’t make up the rules but have to try abide by them.

Therefore, my initial question to try resolve my predicament?
You are spot on.I am wrong,yet again!!!!..rang baxi....crazy as it sounds....no white showing as UV damages it!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back