White paint on bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our house has wooden framed windows to the front and in the past before we bought it, they have been painted up with (gloss?) white paint....the person whilst doing this has been quite careless and there are various white drips and finger prints that I want to remove.

Any ideas how I could do this?

Cheers

Loz

Sponsored Links
Do you mean you want to remove the white paint from the brickwork around the windows, or what?

If the windows are 'painted up' in the sense that they are painted stuck shut, then you can free them with the help of a mallet, a block of wood and a wide stiff scraper, but it requires a lot of patience and you risk breaking the glass if you don't know what you are doing.

The method of removal here will be greatly dependant on both the nature and type of brick, there is a product now called stripaway that can solve your problem. Yet this is a rather time consuming and expensive way.

In the first instance you could try and and remove the system with the gentle use of a hot air gun on in it's lowest setting and using a clean rag try to sponge it off, yet without being able to see it my advice would only be based on speculation.

Dec

Yes sorry for the confusion, the task is to remove the gloss white paint from the brickwork where it has splashed/dripped onto it whilst windows were painted.

I'll try the heat gun idea...what about wire wool too would this help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Using any form of abrasive may mark the brickwork.

Dec

If you have a pressure washer to hand this can greatly help to remove the softened paint.

Dec

Thanks, I do not have a pressure washer....

What about a small amount of Nitromorse (spelling?!)

Cheers

The new formulation of Nitromors is to be honest rubbish and I doubt it's capability to remove a cured alkyd paint system.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back