White undercoat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be painting a door a gloss colour called Cashmere dream(if that means anything to you) which I can only describe as a milky coffee colour, bordering a darker beige. I have coated the door with 2 coats of white primer undercoat as it was bear wood and was wondering if you think I should use a normal white undercoat before the top coat or will it show through. A light grey undercoat may even be too dark, I don't know. Any suggestions? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Firstly a lot depends on what make gloss coat you are using. The trouble with a lot of Cheap paints or budget paints is that although you find they maybe cheaper you end up using more and will usually end up putting on two coats to stop the base coat coming through.
If you are painting Beige or creams do not use grey undercoat. Instead use white undercoat. You may find that you will have to apply more than one coat. But if you are applying something like Dulux gloss you may get away with just one coat.
Water based paints are a waste of space however water based undercoat is ok.But to answer your question yes use White Undercoat that's fine

Thanks for your reply. I'd actually undercoated in white before you replied as I thought as much to be honest and I am using a decent gloss although I don't mind applying 2 coats if neccessary. Cheap or expensive I think the colour of gloss you are using is the over riding factor especially a colour like pillar box red which struggles to cover even grey undercoat in one coat unless you are willing to buy the correct red undercoat that is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back