Who can carry out electrical work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have just had an extension built and had the work carried out by a fully certified company and are happy with the result although quite expensive. I have a workshop alongside the house (an old telephone exchange) that I want to connect up on a separate supply. There is a mains cable attached to the meter which has been installed and checked by the SWEB but no supply itself switched on. I want to have lights and sockets installed in the workshop, nothing heavy duty, and want to know who is qualified to do this. We have had a chap in the past carry out work in our cottage to a high standard, this includes connecting up a shower etc. I want to know if he is still allowed to carry out the work needed in my workshop with the new regulations. He is a qualified electrician working for a company.

Thanks in advance

James

Sponsored Links
Jim, firstly if this chap is a qualified electrician then he is legally regarded as competent to undertake the work.

As this building has it's own supply, and is not a domestic residence then Part P may not apply, my personal feeling it does not, but it will be a bit grey in this instance.

In order to get the supply turned on by SWEB you will likely need a completed Test certificate for the new Installation.

If you have any concerns regarding Part P compliance, I would suggest that you discuss this with your local Planning Dept of the local council.

However I would stress that as the building is wholly seperate from your home and has it's own supply, it should not come under Part P as it is not a domestic residence..but this interpretation may need clarification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back