For "ban-all-sheds's"...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry, didnt see how to contact you privately, i want to say thanks for advice on previous thread, every point is valid. but wondering if i can pick your brain once more..

for my garage/workshop supply. i want to have it certified as it will all be new and the workshop is quite substantial.

my plan is to do the grunt bits myself and have a local electrician come and connect up and test and certify. i spoke to one on the phone and he was ok with it but of course for him to come out and tell me all the details their is a charge. so we came to an agreement that i would dig a trench for cable from house to workshop, i would route into the house and up the workshop wall and into the top left corner, i will mount all workshop grade conduit and fix socket boxes to the wall,

he told me the items i would need to aquire and he will basically come out see it all exposed (not connected) and connect all up.

just want to confirm with you what he said is good seeing as the last guy i had obviously was not.

ok so points to note:

1 - he said to purchase a 32A rcd breaker for the workshop. (he will be coming off a breaker in the house too, he said this way cable is protected and workshop is protected)

2 - for the items/amount of sockets etc i will be having and lights he said 10mm armoured cable should be ok.

- 4 x strip lights
- 4 x double sockets
- main equipments are mounted drill, bench grinder, mig welder (they are highest consumption items all of which are fine running from ordinary house sockets)

3 - when i asked about internal cabling, he just said the same stuff as used for household sockets, and that the supplier would tell me which is best ???

4 - one thing i forgot to ask was depth of trench ?? it is going to be a 15m length of cable required, all to run under grass.

thanks for any advice again.

ps: doing this is saving me a hell of alot of money.

Sponsored Links
Cable should be 450mm deep with marker tape above. Or if you want, cable tiles.

Sponsored Links
my plan is to do the grunt bits myself and have a local electrician come and connect up and test and certify. i spoke to one on the phone and he was ok with it but of course for him to come out and tell me all the details their is a charge.
Sounds reasonable.

so we came to an agreement that i would dig a trench for cable from house to workshop, i would route into the house and up the workshop wall and into the top left corner, i will mount all workshop grade conduit and fix socket boxes to the wall,
Did he specify what he meant by "workshop grade conduit"?

1 - he said to purchase a 32A rcd breaker for the workshop. (he will be coming off a breaker in the house too, he said this way cable is protected and workshop is protected)
What are you having in the workshop? Are you planning to go straight to sockets & lights, or will there be a small consumer unit there? What did he mean by RCD breaker for the workshop?

It's just that on the list of parts I see neither a CU, nor a fused connection unit which you would need if you plan to run the lights off a 32A circuit.

Can't see anything to terminate SWA into either.

2 - for the items/amount of sockets etc i will be having and lights he said 10mm armoured cable should be ok.
It'll be fine - over that distance it'll be able to carry over 50A, so you're future proofed.

- 4 x strip lights
- 4 x double sockets
- main equipments are mounted drill, bench grinder, mig welder (they are highest consumption items all of which are fine running from ordinary house sockets)
Did he advise you to get high-frequency fluorescents? Regular ones are a tad unsafe with rotating machinery, as the strobe effect can make the cutting/grinding/finger-choppy thing look stationary.

3 - when i asked about internal cabling, he just said the same stuff as used for household sockets, and that the supplier would tell me which is best ???
It makes a difference whether you are running the sockets straight off the incoming 32A circuit, or as a ring from a 32A breaker in a CU in the workshop, or a radial from a 20-25A in a CU...

Is the electrician supplying the armoured cable and the glands?

TBH it doesn't sound as if he's done a very good design. If you have RCD protection at the house then you'll have to schlep back there to reset it if it trips, and/or if you're in the house you'll have to sort out whatever is making it trip out in the workshop. If you have RCD in both places there's no guarantee which will trip, apart from Sod's Law making it more likely to be the house one. If the lights are on the same RCD as the sockets and it trips you'll be plunged into darkness whilst the cutting/grinding/finger-choppy thing slowly spins down...

Richard and BAS sitting on a tree, K I S S I N G :eek:

It must be luv :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back