Wiring outbuilding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I am just completing my workshop at the top of our garden and the next big step is the electrics! I want to do as much as possible myself to save money. At the moment I have layed 6mm 3 core SWA cable from the house and fed it into the workshop. It is from here that I am a bit stuck.

I am going to mount a garage RCD device near to where the cable comes in the workshop for lights and sockets. My next step is running the relevant cables around the building. My questions are:

1. Am I right to assume that it is 2.5mm T&E for the sockets and 1.5mm for the lights (or is it 1.0mm)?

2. Will the socket wiring just be on a straight radial circuit?

3. Is it best to use the loop-in system for the lighting circuit?

4. Is it best to use the metal clad surface mounted sockets and switches in a workshop or can I just use normal plastic domestic type with the cable in the wall?

5. Finally, do I need to install an earth rod under the workshop?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Please find a trust worthy electrician and allow him to answer the questions and do the work with you as helper so it is done safely and within the requirements of the building inspectors and then can be signed off as being compliant.

I am going to mount a garage RCD device near to where the cable comes in the workshop for lights and sockets.

If the single RCD trips, it could leave a workshop without lights whilst rotating machinery spins down. Not a brilliant idea. You could use RCBOs.

1. Am I right to assume that it is 2.5mm T&E for the sockets and 1.5mm for the lights (or is it 1.0mm)?

No. It depends: Radial or ring? 32A or 20A MCB? 1.5mm for lights is OK.

2. Will the socket wiring just be on a straight radial circuit?

You tell me. It's your choice.

3. Is it best to use the loop-in system for the lighting circuit?

If you have one 1-way or 2-way lighting circuit in the workshop, what are you going to loop between?

4. Is it best to use the metal clad surface mounted sockets and switches in a workshop or can I just use normal plastic domestic type with the cable in the wall?

I have metal clad surface mounted sockets and switches in my workshop, with galvanised conduit/trunking for the wiring, because I think that's best.

5. Finally, do I need to install an earth rod under the workshop?

That depends on the type of supply to your house and the existance or otherwise of an extraneous earth in your workshop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back