Who is responsible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I hope I'm posting this in the right place, after a bit of advice.

We recently had the wall and doorway between our galley kitchen and dining room removed. We had drawings done by an architect who said he thought we'd need 1 maybe 2 rsj's. The drawings went to a structural engineer who calculated that we'd need a large 300mm x300mm rsj spanning the 6m width of the kitchen and dining room and another smaller one that rested on it that went across where the old wall had been.

The builder said he thought that the larger rsj was over-engineered and said he'd call the engineer, he didn't.

The wall came down and both the rsj's went up. I was quite nervous about it s the larger rsj only gave us a head clearance height of 6'5''.

At this point the builder who had done our patio came by to collect his money and said he was concerned that the rsj was not correctly fitted as it should have been pushed up in to the ceiling void to give us proper head clearance.

I said this to our new builder the next day and he said that he could move the rsj up by 5/6 inches, but had fitted it according to the plan.

In the meantime building control came to site and signed it off, apparently puzzled why the rsj was so large.

Before I got the builder to raise the RSJ's (which he said would cost me an extra £500) I called the structural engineer who came out to make a site visit. Between him and the builder they decided that I did not need either RSJ...

Both the RSJ's came down again, and are still sat in my back garden 6 weeks later!

This has obviously left me out of pocket, the RSJ's alone were £1000. The structural engineer has offered his£250 fee back, the builder says it is not his fault, as does the architect. It seems to me that mistakes were made by all parties, but is any one of them ultimately responsible in this case?

(I am now having the work checked as some bits of plaster are falling down from the ceiling... it may still not be right!)

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It depends what the Architect appointed him to do, was the engineer asked to do some calcs to check the Architects design or was the SE appointed to come up with a solution himself or what? The fact that he gave you his fee back seems quite telling to me but its pretty difficult to know who was responsible without knowing all the ins and outs and who did what and to whom and when etc etc.

In the meantime building control came to site and signed it off, apparently puzzled why the rsj was so large.
Wasn't the BCO that passed the drawing plan? don't know why this wasn't spotted then?

They will all have insurance for you to claim against.

The engineer and architect should definately have Professional Indemnity which covers mistakes as this through design/advice errors.

Sorry to detract, but I like the way you've propped up the rad.

:LOL: You know I did wonder why my chair had been taken in there, hadn't noticed it was holding the rad up!

Why is that pooch not wearing a hard hat!

So let me get this straight, you've had structural work done involving a grands worth of steel being designed, fabbed, installed and inspected. and at the end of it all they weren't even necessary?

:eek:

I'd be wondering if the builder is a bodger and the engineer and building inspector are just his mates. If they've never been in the same room at the same time then it could be the same bloke in a cunning disguise.
Did the engineer look like Groucho Marx?

Look on the bright side, you may be eligible for a visit from Melinda Messenger. :LOL:

:LOL: I did wonder for a while if it was some kind of money making scheme... Melinda could be a good shout... cheer my husband up anyway!

So, seriously though, do you think the builder is part responsible? The engineer says it was down to him to check by taking the floor boards up before he started, which he didn't!

So, seriously though, do you think the builder is part responsible? The engineer says it was down to him to check by taking the floor boards up before he started, which he didn't!
I would've thought if the builders follow the drawing plan sizes so no come back there, could get complicated here, might be an idea to pop down to your local CAB for their free advice

Sponsored Links
Back