Who to ask?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
moved into a new house recently, I notice when it's windy the electricity supply to the house is all over the place. The lights flicker like mad. An electrician I used for a different job suggested the electricity company should sort it out. I contacted the local Norweb (or whatever they are called these days) and they had no interest as don't buy my electriciy off them any more.

Who should I get to fix this?

Regards

CC

Sponsored Links
Well, if you are sure the fault is the responsibility of your electricity provider, ring them.

contact your metering company, and if you get no joy try the DNO (network operator - used to be called rec, region electricity company, but now when they answer the phone they say 'we dunno' hence the new name!)
Joking aside, identify your DNO contact persons from this web page,
http://www.greenenergy.org.uk/pvuk2/reference/grid_con/dno_map.
They will only actually come out if they think their network is at risk - are there any low hanging cables, trees in the wires or corroding joints to see?

Sponsored Links
Hi folks,
many thanks for the links, so far I've tried British Gas, who currently supply the electricity and powergen who used too. No joy with either. I'll give United utilities a ring and see what they have to say.

Regards

CC.

caress - there's a difference between your electricity supplier and your electricity distributor (DNO/REC as mapj1 said). the electricity supplier is who bills you. the distributor is who maintains the network in your area. these are the guys who you need to speak to.

if you don't know who your distributor is, call your supplier and they WILL tell you. you shouldn't have to make several phone calls, or call the DNOs by trial and error to find the correct one.

Hi user56565,
thanks for the response. I realise this, perhaps I worded the last post badly. When I moved in I spoke to Powergen (the then metering company) to ask them and all I got was a "not me guv" type response. Forgot all about it until the next windy night and then phoned British Gas, my current metering company, they said basically "not me 'guv" also. neither of them gave me any assistance, actually got a don't know from BG! In fact they seemed more than disinterested. Hence my posting to this forum. I followed the link supplied by Andrew2022 and it turns up to be United Utilities that cover this area, so I'll be on to them tomorrow. Bizarre it's the same fools that supply the rather dreadful drinking water in these parts....Ho hum....

Cheers once again.

Regards

ChrisC.

good luck getting it sorted.

have a look at your house/near your house if you can see loose cables etc.., just so you can point it out to them.

If you get no joy, then try and hint that you think the problem could be caused by ****** stealing electricity for their illegal camp...

*thinks he knows what ban is gonna post next, and its going to be a newspaper cutting thats been widely circulated on the net*

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back