Who to go to for new boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have a back boiler and it needs replacing for a new combi boiler.

How much should I expect that to set me back? £4K-£5k?

And is it wise to go to a local independent gas company or shall I be safe with British Gas? Wanting to pay on finance...

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
most bg installs are on finance,very few small firms offer it , local would be lower cost if you want finance get it in place first from the bank as its a lower rate

Thanks Gordon.

Any idea what price range I would be looking at to replace a back boiler with a combi? Not on finance?

Sponsored Links
Hi.

I have a back boiler and it needs replacing for a new combi boiler.

How much should I expect that to set me back? £4K-£5k?

And is it wise to go to a local independent gas company or shall I be safe with British Gas? Wanting to pay on finance...

Thanks.
Keep what you have. While fuel wise it is a tad dearer to run, why not instal better controls to control the fuel expenditure. A combi might be a neat solution, but it will fail more often and require after care that you may struggle or may not be able to get for reliable aftercare. No way will the combi last the length of time the back boiler has worked

Thanks DP.

Problem is, we’ve only lived there three months and the back boiler has knackered up three times and engineers moan and refuse to come out to deal with it. It’s a pain in the arse to be honest. We’ve already spent a good few hundred quid on it with no progress.

As above, these are easy to fix so unless you really want a new boiler you'd be better off just getting a decent engineer to fix it.

If you do want a new one, a local independent will be much cheaper than BG and a bank loan may give you better interest rates than BG finance if you can't afford to pay for it all at once

Some of those glow worm electronic boilers are horrible things and some of the early bermudas with no thermocouple on the fire are dangerous there's a lot of back boiler models out there, some people don't like a big air vent blowing in cold air and the nice warm air in the room getting sucked up the chimney.
You might get a decent deal of bg as the business are in a fair bit of trouble and their prices have tumbled over the last year. I'd try and get an interest free credit card and pay it off before it attracts interest, then cut it up.

I sort of lost interest at dangerous because of no thermocouple

I sort of lost interest at dangerous because of no thermocouple
You don't remember those horrible back fires with that nasty spring permanent pilot without a t/c?, used to have an old dear that insisted on hoovering by it making it go out leaving her a gas leak.

I do remember them. Well. I also remember 4 pilots on cooker hobs, one in the oven, one on the grill, with a "poker" on the side.

I can't recall any explosions, probably 'cos gas stinks at any appreciable level.

But I do agree that the electronic Bermudas, Parkray 401's and most Glow worms should possibly be retired. The OP mentioned having spent a few hundred on it, so I am guessing a later Bermuda, unless he has forked for a pump or a gas valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back