whooshing when valve opens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When the hot water or central heating system is switched on and the valve in the airing cupboard opens there is a whooshing noise . Eventually the noise goes away and it all seems to be working until I start to get some banging noises from the boiler. At this point I have to switch the boiler off and switch it on again which then results in a sudden rush of water into the boiler. It all then starts working properly. It cant be air in the system cos I have an automatic air vent in the airing cupboard. I also have an air separator. The boiler has been serviced and the system descaled Any ideas?? My boiler is an Ideal Classic

Sponsored Links
There could be a partial blockage. This usually occurs around the air separator. Can sometimes be diagnosed by running a magnet around the pipework and air separator. If it sticks, there is a presence of magnetite. If it doesn't stick, could still be some blockage. Personally I don't bother rafting about like this. I just normally isolate and partially drain the system, cut out pipework, replace or clean and refit. Word of warning the magnetite is a pig to clean off anything it comes into contact with.

James.

The air separator is new so there shouldn't be a problem with that, but I will try the magnet idea. How do I check if the automatic air vent is turned on properly or do they just work without being turned on and off?

Sponsored Links
You either have
1 faulty boiler thermostat.
2 blocked system.
If you don't understand that, you need a decent plumber to sort it.
Jeff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back