Another noisy boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like most of the people here I have a noisy central heating system and boiler.

The boiler we have is an Ideal Classic and it's making horrendous popping and knocking noises as though the water is boiling. Not only this but when the thermostat kicks in there is often a whoosh of what sounds like water or air accompanied by a knocking/creaking noise in the pipes near the boiler. Also in the airing cupboard the pump makes a lapping noise as though there is air or water in the pipes there as well.

The house is only 5 years old and it never made this noise originally but after a couple of years the noise started and is getting worse. I am running the system using the middle setting on the pump and 5 out of 6 on the boiler and it's driving a 4 bed house with about 12 rads. All radiators are working and hot. Sorry but I can't explain any more what type of system it is.

I originally drained the system a couple of years ago on the advice of a plumber who reckoned there was a lot of sludge in the system. I've recently had British Gas around to service the boiler and they replaced the pump. They've since been back and put something in the header tank to quieten the boiler but it doesn't seem to have worked.

Anybody got any other ideas as the noise is driving me mad?

Sponsored Links
Check that water isn't "pumping over" in the small tank, ie out of the vent over it. ALso see
this

probably descaler in your header tank are you in a hard water area?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back