Why 2 header tanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I seem to have 3 problems with the shower....

1 :I keep losing pressure to the shower which is fed from a gravity system.

If the shower in the ensuite is being used and someone turns the hot water tap on downstairs or in the bathroom. The pressure drops and airlock occur and no more hot water comes out of the shower only a dribble.

The only way I can clear this is by attaching a shower pump to the head and running it until water starts to flow. (until it happens again)

2: Also I seem to have 2 header tanks full of water with one tank which has the water coming in with the ball thingy and one tank seems to be stagnant and smells like a fish tank. Both tanks are connected via a small pipe at the bottom..Pipe is not blocked as if no input water goes in then water is run then the stagnant tanks water level starts to drop.

3: When the shower is used we get like a sewage smell in the en-suit which i thought was coming from the drain but it only occurs when the shower is used. (I don't think its due to water in the stagnant tank as the water level does not drop quick enough before the main tank gets filled)

Sponsored Links
If the smelly tank is small, then it migt be the feed and expansion for your central heating boiler and radiators. Do you know if you have a combi boiler?

If you can post a pictue showing the tanks and pipes it will be very helpful.

Is there a ball valve in each of the tanks?

How big are the tanks?

How many bathrooms and showers are in your house?

Have you inspected the stagnant tank for drowned spiders, squirrels and birds?

Does the stagnant tank have any pipes going in and out except the one connecting it to the other tank?

methinks the water comes into and goes out of one tank with the ball valve

the water should come into the tank with the ballvalve and flow out of the other

what size is the pipe connecting them together :?: :?:

Got me thinking we have two tanks in the same arrangement? I remember - one feeds the hot water tank and the other the supplies cold to the showers. Hence no stagnation.

How many feeds from the tanks do you have. As Kev said are they/it coming from the tank with the inlet and is it a single feed or separate ones?

Sponsored Links
I think there are no feeds from the stagnant tank but I will check.

If there is a feed to the shower then the cold water never gets turned on in the shower as generally the hot water temp.. is fine.

I think Kev may be correct as when the house was built they should have put the ball in the stagnent tank (input feed).

If the smelly tank is small, then it migt be the feed and expansion for your central heating boiler and radiators. Do you know if you have a combi boiler?

No-combi just normal boiler and then stored in airing cubourd tank.

If you can post a pictue showing the tanks and pipes it will be very helpful.

Could not get picture transferd.

Is there a ball valve in each of the tanks?

No only in the main tank which feeds all outlets.

How big are the tanks?

The look like the they could hold about 25 liters each it says merlin on them and a number c25 on them.

How many bathrooms and showers are in your house?

1 bathroom, 1 shower

Have you inspected the stagnant tank for drowned spiders, squirrels and birds?

Yes -only dirty deposits at the bottom of tank(looks like sand which seems to be in both tanks)

Does the stagnant tank have any pipes going in and out except the one connecting it to the other tank

No!

How many feeds from the tanks do you have. As Kev said are they/it coming from the tank with the inlet and is it a single feed or separate ones?

There are no feeds to the stagnant tanks ...just the connecting pipe and over flow pipe.

what size is the pipe connecting them together

About the same size as the overflow pipe (maybe 20 mil)

22mm actually (get's plumbers smart arsed head on) :LOL:

you need to move the outlets to the other tank or ipso facto move the inlet to the other tank ;)

Ok- Thanks Kev.

Thats one problem solved.

Any ideas whats causing the smell and the air lock ?

airlock could well be the expansion pilling air is depends on the height of the vent/expansion pipe and how the shower is connected to the hot supply

smell dunno without being there

might be the stagnant tank mixing but then again it might be the waste syphoning bit of a chicken and egg question :confused: :confused:

without actually seeing it

I belive the hot water pipe comes out from the hotwater storage tank goes up into the loft and then feads back down to the shower mixer and up agin to the output..

The expansion pipe comes from the top storage tank and goes up into the header tank.

When you say hight ....should the expansion pipe not go over certian height or does depend where it's connected on the storage tank in relation to the output pipe of the shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back