1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are arris rails preferred for feather edge fencing

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by barnsley7, 6 May 2021.

1. barnsley7

barnsley7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm about to make feather edge fence panels on a slope. Not stepped, I'll be having top cut parallel to ground.

Also using durapost which has 50mm gap for the rails. And using dewalt nailgun 50mm galvanised nails 2.8g ring shank.

I don't know what rails to use... I thought 38mm depth rails (a normal 3x2 inch) but I've read that arris rails are preferred? -
    Is that right?

Probably going for 125 or 150mm width feather edge boards @16mm thickness 1.8m fence with durapost gravel boards and top rail.

2. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Arris rail does not allow rain to sit on top and rot it quickly and the shape resists warping and twisting in the weather .

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. wgt52

wgt52

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. barnsley7

barnsley7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    thanks, that's great info.
    I might also trial the durapost capping rail but not sure if it will look ok on a slope.

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links