Why brown in the F&E?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have been trying out a borrowed Magnaclean on 3/4" flexy hoses today to see if my system is dirty. The reason for my concern is that the Flamingo is bonking. (see my other post, I am going to try DS40 on it).

The syst was powerflushed 4 years ago and has 2 litres of Sentinel 100 in 100 litres of water, plus 2 litres of Sentinel anti-boiler-noise stuff (which hasn't cured it)

Rather pleased to find that the water is clear, I only got a teaspoonful of black out of the hall rad when I took it off and tipped it up.

I've had it circulating all day, and there was only enough black in the water to make the magnet sleeve look dirty (in bands), no appreciable sludge.

All seems fine.

However...

I bailed out the F&E to prevent any old muck being washed down when I refit the rad.

Although I cleaned out the F&E at the time of the powerflush, and once since, it has fine brown sludge at the bottom and sticking to the sides. The brown sludge is weakly attracted to the magnet

I can't see why this is.

I thought of a couple of possibilities:

old corrosion loosened by the chemicals has washed around and settled there as a patch of still water

the Anti-corrosion chemical is diluted in the F&E by any make-up water,so corrosion can occur. But it is just plastic, copper and brass up there, with a lid on, so why iron corrosion?

Any opinions?

Sponsored Links
mine can, it bonks more than I do, especially in the winter.

Sponsored Links
p.s. see how clean the drained circulating water is!

Radwater20070518-1.jpg

edited Monday morning

94 reads and no replies yet!

hee hee!

Either it's such a stupid question no one will reply

Or so difficult no-one knows an answer! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back