Why brown sediment in the F&E?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
My system is 20-30 years old, Flamingo, was powerflushed 6 years ago after an un-noticed leak diluted the inhibitor; has 2% X100 in it, water is clear (faintly yellow) and only faint rings of black material trapped on a Magnaclean (which I have now removed).

However when I look in the F&E I see a thin layer of brown sediment in the bottom.

I baled it out and sponged it clean a year ago, and now it is back. It has a lid.

I have come to the conclusion that the slight ebb and flow up the F&E pipe allows particles in a small proportion of the circulating water to settle out as the F&E is almost static.

But where is it coming from? I have seen thick brown sediment in other old systems and assumed it was from lack of inhibitor. I have been told that brown rust goes black over time inside radiators, but I have also been told that it doesn't.

The system originally ran on very hard water and MB1; I now have a softener, but Sentinel say X100 is effective in softened water.

Sponsored Links
My system is 20-30 years old, Flamingo, was powerflushed 6 years ago after an un-noticed leak diluted the inhibitor; has 2% X100 in it, water is clear (faintly yellow) and only faint rings of black material trapped on a Magnaclean (which I have now removed).

However when I look in the F&E I see a thin layer of brown sediment in the bottom.

I baled it out and sponged it clean a year ago, and now it is back. It has a lid.

I have come to the conclusion that the slight ebb and flow up the F&E pipe allows particles in a small proportion of the circulating water to settle out as the F&E is almost static.

But where is it coming from? I have seen thick brown sediment in other old systems and assumed it was from lack of inhibitor. I have been told that brown rust goes black over time inside radiators, but I have also been told that it doesn't.

The system originally ran on very hard water and MB1; I now have a softener, but Sentinel say X100 is effective in softened water.

it`s cr*ap from your system being deposited into your f&e over time via your vent pipe.
Bit of a daft question for a plumber innit?

Bit daft filling the heating up with softened water as well.

Asking for trouble.

Sponsored Links

Asking for trouble.

None of your dam business, I was addressing the OP. ;)

Maybe not, but a man of your limit intelligence wouldn't know you should never fill an heating system with softened water :LOL:

I like you DIA (full title) because you are stupid. ;) :D

Where you clever enough to understand that my response to you was one that you had given to me on another topic regarding how much gas a 22mm pipe could take?

Probably not. Like I say, I like you `cos you`re stupid. :LOL:

Asking for trouble.

None of your dam business, I was addressing the OP. ;)

Maybe not, but a man of your limit intelligence wouldn't know you should never fill an heating system with softened water :LOL:

I like you DIA (full title) because you are stupid. ;) :D

Where you clever enough to understand that my response to you was one that you had given to me on another topic regarding how much gas a 22mm pipe could take?

Probably not. Like I say, I like you `cos you`re stupid. :LOL:

And I like you Gasbag, because they only let you out at weekends :LOL:

Asking for trouble.

Is there evidence for this, or is it an Old Plumber's Tale?

"Sentinel X100 has been especially designed to cope with all types of supply water, even softened water and affords complete protection."

See http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/en/heating/X100/questions[/QUOTE]

Soft water is not good for your boiler if it contains an aluminium heat exchanger . (I don`t think dia knew that I knew that) ;)

Flamingo.

Iron.

OK?

BTW I know someone who supplies deionised water (I think from a reverse osmosis plant), maybe this would be better.

Flamingo.

Iron.

OK?

BTW I know someone who supplies deionised water (I think from a reverse osmosis plant), maybe this would be better.

Use what you like it won`t stop your vent pipe from depositing expanded hot water & all that comes with it into your tank. That`s it`s job you see. :rolleyes:

Flamingo.

Iron.

OK?

Use what you like it won`t stop your vent pipe from depositing expanded hot water & all that comes with it into your tank. That`s it`s job you see. :rolleyes:

Stop blagging it Gasbag.

Nothing, repeat NOTHING Should be deposited from the vent pipe, not even water unless you have a fault.

And no it's not an old wifes tale JohnD Softened water will corrode steel radiators, and that will be the signs you have in the header tank.

[quote="doitall";p="829070
Stop blagging it Gasbag.

Nothing, repeat NOTHING Should be deposited from the vent pipe, not even water unless you have a fault.

And no it's not an old wifes tale JohnD Softened water will corrode steel radiators, and that will be the signs you have in the header tank.[/quote

It`s his f&e tank not his header tank which supplys hot water. Can you explain how the sludge got into the f&e tank, if not through the vent which I have suggested?

[quote="doitall";p="829070
Stop blagging it Gasbag.

And no it's not an old wifes tale JohnD Softened water will corrode steel radiators, and that will be the signs you have in the header tank.[/quote

It`s his f&e tank not his header tank which supplys hot water. Can you explain how the sludge got into the f&e tank, if not through the vent which I have suggested?

An F&E tank is the header tank. An storage tank is for the domestic water.

Nothing should come our of either vent pipe unless you have a fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back