White slime/jelly in F&E

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I was having a look in my F&E to see how clean it is, saw some translucent white stuff. I bailed it out and it seems to be stringy jelly, it drips slowly like, say, egg-white.

My thoughts are of algae or bacterial growth, but the tank is dark (dark loft and it has a black plastic cover)

I cleaned out the system a few months ago with X400, DS40 and DS3, and after rinsing refilled with X100, which surely contains a biocide to prevent growth.

I suppose the F&E would have been mostly fresh water as I would have washed all the X100 down into the system and the CH has not been on much since then.

Does anyone know what it might be and how to destroy it? I don't mind bailing out the F&E and giving it a scrub but I don't want to have to drain and refill the whole system again if I can help it.

Sponsored Links
Usually you save a wee bit of inhibitor then put that into the F&E tank when the system is full to stop that sort of stuff however I have no idea what's in your tank:cool:

Why not bang in some more inhibitor into the F&E tank before you go to the bother of draining down again etc?

Its stagnant water so bacterial groth is common. Why worry about it if its sat there doing nothing. i wouldnt let it concern you? You can clear the tank out but it will come back.

whats happened is that a frog has jumped into your tank and had fun and as a result what you see before you is frogs spawn.

Sponsored Links
more like

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Disgusting/****.gif

fernox mb1,was put into the tank when the sys was full and has not gone into the sys :rolleyes:

Nope

I used X100 and added it at the start of the refill process, so it should have been drawn down as I bled the rads.

Anyway I will probably have to buy a new boiler shortly :cry: so it will all get drained out again

from your discription it sounds right,we had a site of 200 houses where the majority of tanks had this jelly like substance on the surface of the f&e tank,i knew one of the plumbers and asked him how they added inhib,his reply was the apprentice fires in the fernox the day before handover.the company had this stuff tested and it came back as fernox ;) looks like frogs spawn and very sticky/slimy?

definitely slimy. It slowly slithers off anything you put in the water.

I took a sample in a jamjar yesterday and stirred a quarter tsp of bleach into the jar, the next day the jelly had gone from the jar so I suspect a bacterial/algal slime growth which the chlorine had killed.

I did not notice any smell though :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back